Thread: Lucifer's Hummingbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lucifer's Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another image from this late summer migration. One of my favorite hummers, just wish it was the male, but he wouldn't hit the flower. Flower was hung above feeder in Ash Canyon. Natural light

Sony A1
    200-600mm with 1.4 TC
    shot at 766mm
    1/2000 at f/9
    ISO 1600

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool image well focused sharp and good details, DOF pretty good too... the tip of the tail is soft but does it really matter? I also like the colours and composition.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kurt, I am still going through images from our trip. This is a great example!

Beautiful angle to the lens and nice eye contact. Composition works nicely, though I could also see one with a little less stem at right (I am working on one now which is why it's fresh).

One thing you should try, just to see if you like it or not - pull it into LR, grab the 3/4 on the tone curve (basically between the mids and lights) and pull it up a touch. Try whites +8, add +15 vibrance and pull contrast down a touch. Could give it just a little pop, and of course there are many ways to achieve similar effects in post (waiting for the 'experts' to rip me for eluding to this as a "proper" course of action lol). Heck, maybe you don't like it, but just a different view on it.

I dig it though, solid frame my friend!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one tons, including the length of stem showing, but I am sure experimenting on the crop as per Brian's suggestion would give equally pleasing results. We only have one species here, so seeing different ones posted here from my monitor is cool.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow - not acquainted with this variety. Less colorful but a real beauty. Love the post and flower's presence. Really nice. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt another nice hummer image ... you seemed to have a good time .
    Overall the image does look quite appealing on most counts ... can see where Brian is coming from , personally I think his suggestions are " too global " in terms of tonal adjustments , but your call .
    Wish for a touch more sharpening in the subject .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Kurt another nice hummer image ... you seemed to have a good time .
    Overall the image does look quite appealing on most counts ... can see where Brian is coming from , personally I think his suggestions are " too global " in terms of tonal adjustments , but your call .
    Wish for a touch more sharpening in the subject .

TFS Andreas
    Haha, my friend that is exactly why I wrote what I wrote :-) I was just suggesting those for a glance at what could be accomplished, but not necessarily as final PP steps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Okidoki Brian ... looks like I missed something in your wording , think it is coming from the " recommenced " usage of LR when talking about tonal adjustments . As you know I rather prefer PS for such work ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Okidoki Brian ... looks like I missed something in your wording , think it is coming from the " recommenced " usage of LR when talking about tonal adjustments . As you know I rather prefer PS for such work ....
    Totally agree with you sir!!!