Thank You Posts

Default European Goldfinch

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 560mm
    f/6.3
    1/1250
    ISO 3200

Inspired by Jon's set up images...I had a look through some of the set up images I captured earlier this year....Tripod...ACR, Topaz DN and PS 2021..About 50% crop...

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oddly, don't car for the perch but love the bird and very nice bkg. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, this is a very interesting composition. The perch has enough interest for my personal taste and love that you attempted to hang onto the little lichen at bottom.

The odd thing about it, though, is that with the faint tree limb over the top it sort of makes it feel like the subject is too high up. I think it could have worked a little better either clipping off the lichen at bottom or if the brush was not evident above.

As is, though, I like that it's a little different. I do think it is a touch much on the magenta side and it feels just a little thin to me, thus maybe it could use a little gusto to make it pop.

Wish we had this species here, sure is handsome!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, stuck in a hide but I like the simplicity of the capture, but less so the the 'umbrella' foliage at the top. Gosh, you have upped the ISO, steady on....

I might move the crop a tad more to the RHS, but adding a Curves RGB/blend mode tweak, just adds a bit more. I might also tweak the tint slider which addresses the magenta, the tan plumage looks better, you'll see. Nice to see the magic perch getting an airing again.

TFS
    Stebe
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Will, it works for me, I do see a magenta cast (I often miss it!). I like the twig and the pose, the umbrella of foliage appeals to me.
    The more I look at the background the more it disturbs me, I think it is colour noise - look to the area to the right of the wing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and tips....much appreciated.......Yes, I think I have gotten over the 'low ISO' habit Steve.....took a few years but I got there...

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well… you will start to get more keepers Will and your camera body won’t explode either.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Will! love the bird, the pose and good detail is there. I agree with Brian about mauybe loosing the lichen at the bottom of the crop, the bird does feel too high in the frame to me. I wish the upper part of the frame didn't have the BG foliage there, it is a tiny bit distracting. Still it is a nice frame!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I like the perch as is, but I think the elongated presentation calls for a more traditional 3:2 vertical. What do you think? I also got rid of the stuff above (gaussian blur) and tweaked the WB. I agree with Brian: wish we had these guys here...but I imagine you may say the same about our American Goldfinches too eh!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys...much appreciated....Looking good Dan....Thanks for that. There's lots of American Birds I would love to photograph, including the Goldfinch...

Will