Thread: Baby Hippo ( Kruger National Park)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Baby Hippo ( Kruger National Park)

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

This baby hippo was exploring its surroundings while mom was resting nearby. Image captured in the Kruger National Park a few weeks back.

I do realise it is not a very exciting frame but decided to share because it is a little different. I quite liked the subject small in the frame and the simplicity of the scene. Not a lot of colour, it was overcast and light a bit flat.

Let me know what you think, I look forward to your comments and suggestions. Should I crop more from the bottom?

Processed in LR and PSCC, cropped a tad from the top and removed a small water bird in the upper left corner of the image.

Hope you all have a wonderful week-end, techs to follow

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 1000
    F6.3
    1 1/3 EV
    1/2000s

1/2000s
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I think I quite like this image though I am a little torn. I like the small/baby hippo in landscape aspect, my first reaction was the base, i.e. is there too much? Looking again I think it is OK, maybe it's the fact that the hippos is gazing into nowhere in particular, possibly that's it - if there was a little eye contact it may have been stronger. If I had been there I am sure I too would have taken the image - in fact I have a sneaky recollection I do have a similar one somewhere. You seem to have rendered the hippo hide rather well.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I like this a lot, small in frame and just on the point of the land. I think the crop works as presented, but not sure on the soft parts of the land at the foot and also is it light hitting the lens at the top? Hard to tell on the laptop, but option of adding a little Vib/Sat, DH/CL, with a few curve adjustments, then a Lum Levels adjustment for the water?????

Techs look good, no need for truck loads of DoF here.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks to you both, Jon and Steve.

I too feel the land at the foot of the image is somewhat detrimental to the overall look of the frame. I have a few options though, one of them would be to crop at the bottom and leave more at the top, will see what it looks like. The current version seemed ok until I uploaded it

Steve, I will go back and implement your suggestions. Initially the image was a bit warmer - not sure what made me back off on saturation and vibrance before posting

Waremest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keep the crop the same, just crop a little more perhaps????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will do I tried everything... now back to original version, just taking a tad off the bottom to make that OOF land less obvious
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... this " little critter " does look lost and sad as presented , without your intro I would have thought this .
    I quite like the overall concept ... as presented it does have a very realistic or documentary character , if you now what I mean ???!!!

AS everything is somehow flat ... I would try to go overboard with tone and color , maybe even try a experimental route to make it " hopefully " more attractive .... if you like .
    Maybe you can try going B&W for more aesthetics .... just a thought .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Andreas

Had precisely your thoughts and tried to go B&W but found that tonal rage wasn't quite 'there'... so I will go for the 'oomph' instead. Will post when ready, got a bit distracted while searching for the image in LR and started PP on other images

Just found another frame with the little one sleeping...at the same spot Rather cute, so I will see what I can do.

Have a wonderful rest of the week-end Boetie, and if you have the time... post something cute please! Maybe go back to 2014 and find me some little foxies

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone,

Hope you are enjoying the weekend, here's an RP from me... hopefully with a few noticeable improvements

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. Nice leading line up to the little hippo. The "S" curve the shoreline makes is nice as well. Good thinking on framing this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it's going in the right direction Gabriela.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you John and Steve, very much
    Gabriela Plesea