Default Grey Butcherbird parenting

Attached Images Attached Images

R5 600 f4 III tripod
    1/500 f4 iso1600
    Near FF cleaned up a few errant twigs.
    DPP4 CCPS2021

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the view of the nest and the feeding behavior, but unfortunately not a keeper from here. clutter in both FG and BG asid,e the image looks totally magenta and the IQ is poor, mom looks like grossly over sharpened and coarse in her details, chicks have lost details.... must have been a huge crop or something? better luck next time but TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ari, that is nearly full frame and was tack sharp before cropping for post. I tried to recover the IQ but not well. As for the environment, that is the environment these birds build in. Thanks for the comments.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Driscoll View Post
    Ari, that is nearly full frame and was tack sharp before cropping for post. I tried to recover the IQ but not well. As for the environment, that is the environment these birds build in. Thanks for the comments.
    how can a tack sharp full frame result in such poor looking image after post processing I don't understand.... something went totally wrong here
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You were certainly very lucky to get such a close view to this nesting family, but the cluttered surrounds rendered a low artistic ceiling as Arash suggests. That said, it's still a fun and interesting frame.

As for the IQ, there is something very strange going on. If the file was indeed sharp, then minimal processing would be required. But the bird appears 'crunchy' (or 'coarse' as Arash calls it), a result which suggests heavier-handed manipulation. You seem to have plenty of fine detail in the original file, but something is going wrong in your workflow. A FF image out of this body at ISO 1600 should look as though you're holding the bird in your hand.

If you're up for it, I will send you the RAW of my recent Golden-crowned Sparrow. It would be interesting to see what result your processing workflow would yield with that file. I'm far, far from the best processor in the world, but even I was able to generate a decent result from it. If you get the same result as me, then we know your Butcherbird issue was with the original file. If you don't, then we know the problem is with the workflow. So, let me know if you're up for that.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The first thing that strikes me Colin is the colour cast.....If you can't see that, you should calibrate your monitor....I think that's a good thing that Dorian is offering his help.....It can only be positive.....I see sharpness and detail....but the cast 'hides' most of how it should be....Great interaction.... and will look so much better when processed differently ....Keep at it.....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post

If you're up for it, I will send you the RAW of my recent Golden-crowned Sparrow. It would be interesting to see what result your processing workflow would yield with that file. I'm far, far from the best processor in the world, but even I was able to generate a decent result from it. If you get the same result as me, then we know your Butcherbird issue was with the original file. If you don't, then we know the problem is with the workflow. So, let me know if you're up for that.
    Thanks Dorian send it and I will give it a go. I am even more fortunate in that the nest is back of my house so I will be getting a few shots as the young develop.
    As for the cast, yes I can see it, just neglected a step in my PP.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arrrgh!! Dumb mistake, forgot to flatten image before resize, hopefully this is an improvement.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin ... great opportunity in your backyard .
    i do not mind the overall cluttered image , looks very natural to me .... I would be even happy to get such clear view to intimate family life , so enjoy the options you have .

Trying not to sound to harsh with my comment ... cannot see a great difference between the two , the RP does look even more " grainy " in the plumage IMHO . No fine details rendered , still looking coarse ... agree with Arash on that front . Your " mistake " does not make a difference ...
    Color is still off as well ...

Check your workflow

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, like Arash I have no idea in how you managed to get to this point, the RP is very similar to the OP???? When you posted your owl and then uploaded the image straight from camera, the image looked fine, so I'm very puzzled how you managed to get to this point with a massive colour shift. In addition everything is overshare creating a very crunchy/coarse appearance in parts, Contrast and too much sharpening, or just too much sharpening. If you used NR in DPP (where you should, never after on a baked tiff in PS because it doesn't work correctly then perhaps it's too much, you have then upped the sharpening, a vicious cycle folk often fall into.

It might be worth just in bullet points outline your Workflow from import into DPP. Flattening before resizing has no effect on the file.

Just looking at the tech, why did you shoot at f/4.

Colin, if I just balance out the RGB values from the OP I get this, I'm not saying it's a definitive version because of the inputs you have added into the file, but it does address the massive colour cast.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin sorry I agree with aforesaid, you have plenty of pointers, I am sure the image didn't look bad to you or you would not have posted it, this makes me think your monitor is in need of calibration. I would also try no sharpening at all then start adding just a little so you can see what us happening.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    , this makes me think your monitor is in need of calibration..
    A simple eye dropper in PS would show the wrong colors ( by the numbers ) ... if one does not see it by naked eye . Calibration does not help in this case .... IMHO

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thankyou everybody for your kind persistence, maybe one day!!! Steve, your RP loses the essence of the bird, too gray, but thanks. I guess I need to develop a photograhic eye for color balance over my naturalist eye. If I see a bird in shade on a sunny day I don't object that it has a blue cast or in late sunset that it has a red cast, that's how it is. So I am too tolerant of the different white balance effects. As for using f4, I didn't want to go a higher iso.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would just open it up and leave it alone... You should not have that much trouble with a modern day RAW out of an R5 if you did nothing.
    Since you are having problems. just shoot in Auto mode and see what happens?
    As far as shooting at F4, why would you not shoot a modern telephoto lens wide open?.
    Most everyone I know shoots wide open with tele lens about 99% of the time.
    In a busy scene like this with a close BG it would be stupid to stop down and just get more sharp busy background.
    This is just Photography 101, F4 at 600mm is perfect for almost anything.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 10-13-2021 at 12:16 AM. Reason: removed personal references
    Dan Kearl