Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

This was taken several years ago, I haven't been able to take any this year to date but I am hoping to fix that really quickly.
    Canon EOS-1D X
    Focal Length : 560.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 2500
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/1250 sec
    Aperture : F8

ACR/PSCC

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you dear Jon,

I like the placement of the subject within the frame here and pose is superb, very impressed with the size of that rack as well as the stunning condition this animal is in. Do find the frame a little tight at the bottom as it barely allows for the virtual limbs.
    Have not been many images of red deer so a little unsure of the colour. Good choice of aperture and nice techs overall, subject is sharp, BG looks great. Wondering if frame is a tad underexposed... but let us see what the others say.
    I believe you are able to travel now and capture new images, I so look forward to more from you Any plans to visit SA again? Maybe next year?

Have a great rest of the week, and thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice view of this red deer. I do like the pose and that grass on the antler. I could see the deer more to the left. Just for some balance. Detail looks great. A nice frame for sure. Hope to see some ones from this season.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John, glad you liked it.
    Gabriel, the colour in the Red deer does vary a little, especially with daylight which is variable in autumn, this coupled with the rain or no rain does sometimes make it difficult to work out what is right or wrong. I will be going to Scotland next year but I think international travel, will be off the cards for some time, I have absolutely no assurance that the prevalence of Covid has abated. I am awaiting my third booster inoculation, other household members are prioritised - having theirs today (because they are NHS workers), I will review the situation when more data is available. The thought of being cooped up in an airport and passenger plane does not appeal one bit, frankly I really do not enjoy the international airport experience at all. The SA bit - once I am there I love!!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, when I first saw the image I thought you had tweaked the camera and it was generating files where you needed to be, then I saw it was the 1DX.

Overall it works with nice colours, just needed more below.

Go to Shetland, forget Scotland and if flying doesn't appeal, the take your car on the Ferry.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve I am going to Mull.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Otter & Sea Eagles… there used to be a company that offered Sea Eagle tours/B&B, not sure if it’s still running, run by I think Pam & Arthur, something like that. Cracking puffins on Shetland in Hermaness, you could use your Macro they are that close, but a bit of a yomp, worth it for the Bonxies. Get the first ferry across to Mull, but be mindful of the folk who can’t drive RV’s and park up in passing places.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.