Thread: The - 'Red'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The - 'Red'

Attached Images Attached Images

Just to add contrast to Jon's 'Grey' - this is the true and proper, native Squirrel, the beautiful 'Red', sadly confined to the middle top half of the UK, but with a small population on the Isle of Wight.

As you cannot calibrate mirrorless bodies the EF 2x is fractionally soft, but sharper on the 1DX MKIII. As I don't have the RF 1.4 or 2x hard to know if these may have been better.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens:EF EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/8 ISO4000 EV 0
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 2021 (10.4) & PS2021 (22.05.0)
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the composition here as well as pose from the squirrel. Also reflection of the fern in the water
    A well balanced frame with beautiful colours, great background, well exposed and processed - enjoyed this one, Steve

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice frame of this red squirrel. We have red squirrels over here. But they don't have those cool ears. I like the reflection of the fern. I could see the squirrel more to the left.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose and the colours, the image certainly looks appealing. As soon as I looked I felt it wasn't so clear or detailed as previous posts. I am not suggesting it is poor or bad just not as good as your usual posts.
    I suppose there is a dilemma if lenses are compatible with both systems but not actually designed for both, there must be a compromise. As you indicate mirrorless cameras do not require calibration, just connect and go.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have just had a look in PSCC, the image looks an awful lot sharper so I suggest disregard the previous comment, it looks sharp enough to me, my only slight reservation would be the front left paw not being quite in focus.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I could see the squirrel more to the left.
    Thanks John, but if the subject moves closer to the left you will clip the long whiskers.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks John, but if the subject moves closer to the left you will clip the long whiskers.
    I am not suggesting the subject moves closer to the left, all I intimated was it would have been nice if the left forepaw was a little more in focus.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon.

As soon as I looked I felt it wasn't so clear or detailed as previous posts.
    As it stands it will hold it's own on any Social Media site, however as I mentioned in the intro:
    - With the MK3 the 2x is very sharp, but the two have been calibrated
    - At f/8 it's wide open so pushing the ISO to 6400, I should have gained more DoF say f/11, but thought the distance around 12-14m I would be OK
    - The RF converters with RF lens should be better, but sadly no 500f/4, so in all honesty without the converters the R5 works extremely well with the EF lens, creating with super sharp images, unless you crop hard.

I suppose there is a dilemma if lenses are compatible with both systems but not actually designed for both, there must be a compromise.
    Jury is out Jon, the current RF I'm struggling with the f/stop unless it's 70-200f/2.8 or below, but happy with the lenses I have and they work, don't really see any negatives as such, plus who has £12-13k for a 400/600mm lens?

As you indicate mirrorless cameras do not require calibration, just connect and go.
    Indeed, but sometimes the MK3 is sharper and that might be due to: Pixels/SS/Calibration..., as with the R5 you are relying with Animal AF and native sharpness set-up of the camera, so I'm still a little uncomfortable with a generic sharpness compared to the 1DX MK3 where each lens and extender is calibrated to the camera body.

I have just had a look in PSCC, the image looks an awful lot sharper so I suggest disregard the previous comment,
    This is why I aways download an image and review in PS, then I know how it looks, and all feedback is based on applying the suggestions, otherwise you are second guessing as to what it may or may not require. Plus, what is 'add a few points of...' what are points, it has no substance.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am not suggesting the subject moves closer to the left, all I intimated was it would have been nice if the left forepaw was a little more in focus.
    Jon, I was replying to John Mack.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, I was replying to John Mack.
    OK, thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... as posted good enough for platforms like this .
    Looking really cool and so sweet , I do like the overall color richness and color contrast .
    A fraction more DOF would have not hurt ... in this case .
    Personally I would have liked a tad more space to the left , but that might have been not possible .

Looks like the image ws taken at a set up ??!!

Cool frame , TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like the image ws taken at a set up ?
    Just a location they come too and work for peanuts.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok ... my thought was the edge looks like from a typical artificial pond for baiting birds to come for a drink