Thread: Grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)

Attached Images Attached Images

Another little back garden scenario, I had baited this area to attract jays and woodpeckers but so far I have mot managed a good pose in decent light (which is in very short supply at present).

Olympus E-M1X
    Focal Length : 300.0mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 640
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/1000 sec
    Aperture : F5

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, as presented it's not working for me, purely because of the set up, it's just doesn't look natural and the subject exactly set within the centre of the aperture of the ivy framing it. Now I'm sure you will prove me wrong, but the dead ivy with a intertwined berry just doesn't look right, plus the ivy being the same colour as the subject, it all becomes a sea 'grey'. The crop, personally needs to move a lot more to the right, with negative to the left, it just sits better. The sharpness is there, but again, if you added texture to the IVY, back it off, it's looking 'grainy' in parts. Probably the laptop, but the greens appear a little posterised... but again could be wrong.

Was the yellow berry strategically placed?

If I could suggest anything to elevate the scene I would Jon, but I just can't think, perhaps Andreas, Mike P, Joe P might chime in with some thoughts?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, that's fine, I didn't intend this to be a serious image, I purely thought it was a fun image and I like it, yes it is an obvious set up, but I found it cheerful in this gloomy weather.
    I make images for fun, I rarely have the intention of making an A3 or A2 sized print or indeed selling any images - they are just for amusement. The yellow berry was there by chance. I haven't a clue what you are referring to when you mention grain?? Are you referring to Texture or Clarity - if so no I used neither.
    The dead ivy frame is about a full stop less exposure than the squirrel and I have applied a vignette.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Steve, that's fine, I didn't intend this to be a serious image, I purely thought it was a fun image and I like it, yes it is an obvious set up, but I found it cheerful in this gloomy weather.
    Jon I'm just adding my thoughts to a image put up for Critique, but yes a fun image in a very gloomy period of weather.

I haven't a clue what you are referring to when you mention grain??
    Hope the attached clarifies, but it's other areas too, I've just highlighted one part, however its not from Clarity more texture if anything, but if neither have been applied then I would guess it's probably due to your script for sharpening.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like what you did but have no idea what it was so I am no wiser.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, I have done nothing but added arrows to indicate one area I was referring too.

Steve, sorry bud no idea at all what the arrows are doing are you saying they mimic or vie with the fur for attention??
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-02-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Buddy, not working for me either, subject is super cute but I find the berries and setup altogether quite overwhelming. Hope weather changes and some nice light tomorrow, the woodpeckers and jays will return

Have a pleasant week-end, Jon

Warmest regards,

Fine Gabriela, no one yet has said they liked it - I don't mean just here on BPN!
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-02-2021 at 12:13 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. The red gives some nice pop of color. The way the squirrel is framed is nice. Also like the tones matching the squirrel.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    I like it. The red gives some nice pop of color. The way the squirrel is framed is nice. Also like the tones matching the squirrel.

Well John thanks, that's me and you and no one else!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... we cannot have all at times , the applause from the whole crowd might not rise
    Sadly I am not going along with the applauding crowd , albeit I think it does look somehow interesting .... but " fake" at the same time .
    Tone and most of the color is doing alright for me , just the very blueish greens in the BG are not doing it for me .
    Details and sharpening are looking quite good ... think I can see where Steve is coming from with his critical eyes .... easy fix with lowering the lighten side of sharpening on the final product . Not knowing what you are using at the moment for downsizing .... as you are very flexible in your workflow

My initial thought was ... the squirrel looks like that he is sitting in a christmas tree from last year ( the triangular form ) and the dried fruits are still hanging on it , well with my fantasy going a bit wild . But this was just my first impression

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

the dried fruits are still hanging on it
    More... Christmas lights

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    More... Christmas lights
    Didn´t want to say it ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I could be forgiven for thinking this image did not down well at all, never mind I have an alternative idea in mind. Also more ideas for the jays in flight - to get the position in flight that I want. Staying at home makes you think a little more about possibilities.....and no queues no traffic jams no waiting in airports being shuffled around like cattle no air pollution, no cold or other infection after being in an airplane with several hundred people ......I am beginning to think not so bad after all. Having said all that I am off to East Anglia next weekend.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Donna Nook?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Donna Nook?
    No not the coast.