Thread: What's Better Than One Baird's Sandpiper?.....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default What's Better Than One Baird's Sandpiper?.....

Attached Images Attached Images

....two of course! It seemed to be the season of the Baird's as I saw more of them this fall migration than ever before combined. Not complaining! The "past prime" habitat was hideous when standing up, but cleaned up nicely when lying prone on the ground...another advantage to crawling around in the muck!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF, contrast and saturation to taste, eye work on the front bird.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

More than one? Great low angle. Nice job on the framing. Wish the second bird was more to the right. This is still nice though.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel, saw my first Baird's here in Colorado this week. Was a fun outing as we don't get near as many shorebirds like that as some of you on the coasts.

The colors here are swell man. I think your pov did well to hide some of the business going on in the fg. Love the contact with the subject IF, with a little foot raise and a nice balance overall.

TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really nice Daniel.
    I am not usually a fan of OOF birds in the BG but this is nice.
    Just the right amount of separation and overall size in the rear bird.
    Lovely muted colors throughout.
    Nice low POV.
    Gail

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The low POV is key and works oh so well here Dan, the pastel colours are a nice change from the more saturated images. The DoF works and I like the angle of both subjects. The FG mush adds to the scene, as if you were just peeking above, but perhaps just darkening the bottom FG may add more to the layering effect you have created here. Goes to show you don't have to have the latest kit to deliver excellent images.

Nice work.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

7. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine shot Dan, I like the pastel colours and the angle you did a good job on minimising distraction elements. I feel the bird in the background helps complement the scene. The angle and the vegetation means the feet would never be visible and despite this I don't feel we are missing them, a strong image in my opinion.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

DATPCA. I have been a member of the Church of Juxtapositions for several decades. Many folks do not understand that they often exist for only an instant.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.