Thread: Jay (Garrulus glandarius)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Jay (Garrulus glandarius)

Attached Images Attached Images

Still having fun with the jays in the back garden, not quite there yet but getting a little closer I think. There are two particular pose I am after - which I have got but they are not quite in focus. With better light I will go for 1/4000 sec and probably f2.8.

Olympus E-M1MarkIII
    Focal Length : 110.0mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 220.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 1000
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/3200 sec (Procapture)
    Aperture : F3.5

ACR/PSCC

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, pretty neat. What exact species of Jay is this?

I like the view against the pale green. I'd evict that brighter grass on the left.

Lots of nice detail in the talons and chest. Head seems to be slightly out of plane being @ f3.5 - wonder if you could selectively sharpen through it?

Are you saying f2.8 so that you can achieve 1/4000 or for some other reason? Typically, a bit more dof is more desirable if possible I think.

Look forward to seeing those slightly more desirable poses :-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian the species is in the title - I think Eurasian Jay is the correct common name. I agree smaller apertures offer greater DOF but I don't need a lot but I do need it where I want it if you see what I mean. The DOF on 4:3 is greater than 35mm SLR so I do have more to play with in the first place, the 2.8 may give me 1/4000 sec at a low ISO on a decent day, in an ideal world I want ISO 1600 or less, assuming a small crop is made, if it has to be higher then so be it but then I have less opportunity to crop because noise is magnified. So yes I minimise success with the smaller aperture but I may get that bit better quality.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Jon, shame about the visible peanut in the mouth, could be fixed... The name is correct.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the incoming pose, nice job getting him in focus. I agree with Brian about some selective sharpening on the head might make it better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's sharp. The flaired tail and curled up feet are nice.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, FWIW, I think you need to up the DoF to say f/5.6 = f/8, the feet & wing tips are sharp, but the head is just on the cusp, and additional sharpening won’t help. Yes it means more ISO to retain the SS and the camera is less forgiving at higher ISO, but I’ve always said a bit of noise is better than a partially soft image.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, FWIW, I think you need to up the DoF to say f/5.6 = f/8, the feet & wing tips are sharp, but the head is just on the cusp, and additional sharpening won’t help. Yes it means more ISO to retain the SS and the camera is less forgiving at higher ISO, but I’ve always said a bit of noise is better than a partially soft image.
    Yes I partially agree but what I want is a clean file and I am prepared to sacrifice a little DOF, so long as the eye and bill are sharp I will be pretty content. I am using Procapture High which means I have no idea what will be in focus until I see the image. i.e. manual focus on what I regard as the optimal plane of focus.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-01-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Jon,

one word. congratulations.

11. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post