Thread: Seven Days to a Year

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Seven Days to a Year

Attached Images Attached Images

However it can be explained, like clockwork, a Pileated makes a return visit to my yard seven days to it being a year. Like a low-flying helicopter, she announces her arrival. This gal perched almost at eye level, which was very nice; in the mottled, side lighting of a late afternoon last week, which was a challenge. But good portraits depend on shading as much as light, so I worked with this to create a contrast where the face and crest try to pull in your focus. Worried about the color for that crest I used the color proportions Cornel Labs identifies and then brought them as a new swatch into a Gradient mask. The composition follows the ⅓ rule dividing tree, bird, background. Other than minor cleanup no elements have been added or deleted from the image. Photoshop, Nik Software, and DxO Pure Raw were used for editing. Here are the specifics:

Canon EOS 1D Mk II
    f/8 1/500 ISO 5000
    EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x
    Focal Length 400mm
    Flash Type Did not fire
    Tripod Used
    81% of Original

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, normally on viewing an image I can see areas that may need a tweak or so to elevate the OP, but here I have no idea on how you managed to process the image to this point???? The colours are way off, it's way too dark in the darks & shadows with mixed colour in the plumage, but ultimately the purple in the bark is just not natural.

Happy to look at the raw and give you some pointers, but I would revise the original as it stands. When did you last calibrate you're monitor?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The RP is less than ideal Dave, but it might be helpful in a possible direction without seeing the raw and based on the OP.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 09-27-2021 at 09:18 AM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The 1/3, 1/3. 1/3 image design is good for a peck-wooder :). It is is bit too tight all around for my taste. Do you have more room???

Steve should win a Nobel prize for his repost as the colors in the original were totally off with tons too much MAGENTA.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, Appreciate your offer to take a look for yourself. If you need the RAW file, we can arrange that. Not an easy exposure but it was the best I could manage while she stayed around. Thank you! Worthy of a Nobel prize, you must be a one-of-a-kind coach!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve should win a Nobel prize for his repost as the colors in the original were totally off with tons too much MAGENTA.
    Cheers Artie, just trying to help.

Steve, Appreciate your offer to take a look for yourself. If you need the RAW file, we can arrange that.
    You are welcome Dave, but based on the above I think there is no need.

IMHO your best bet is to expose for the subject and leave the rest to PP if you can under these circumstances. Colours look way better here too, albeit the bark does need toning down in terms of highlights. Shoot ETTR and use your histogram, never, ever use the screen for how the colour looks as it's just a JPEG the camera generates even if you are shooting Raw. You have the kit so enjoy and never fear in pushing the ISO if you expose correctly, noise will be minimal, even at 5, 8, 10K.

Worthy of a Nobel prize, you must be a one-of-a-kind coach!
    Some may disagree, but I do know my way around PP - to a degree.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Image quality held up for the crop.