Thread: Grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) Stage 1

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) Stage 1

Attached Images Attached Images

I have started a little project with squirrels and Jays in the back garden, this is the start, I am hoping for something a little more dynamic over the next few weeks.

Olympus E-M1X
    Focal Length : 135.0mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 270.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 1000
    Exposure compensation : -0.3 EV
    Shutter : 1/800 sec
    Aperture : F4

ACR/PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 09-26-2021 at 06:33 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A 'classic' pose of the acrobatic grey, but the flowers behind are distracting and the chewed in part post and especially the top, I do find ugly and not very attractive. I would look for a better prop for the forth coming project. Have you added any 'grain' John, the perch just has a particular look, or perhaps if you lighten it, coupled with the sharpening it has given this impression????

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve no haven't added grain, I agree the Michaelmas daisies aren't ideal in the background ( I have to admit I just wanted to post something - life pretty slow at the moment photographically speaking.) The squirrels are pretty destructive chewing up perches digging up wildflower plants and generally making mess everywhere, as soon as I get the shot I am after they can go elsewhere! .........Well maybe not really!
    Thinking on your comment I could have easily cropped the top off it would have looked better.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve no haven't added grain, I agree the Michaelmas daisies aren't ideal in the background ( I have to admit I just wanted to post something - life pretty slow at the moment photographically speaking.) The squirrels are pretty destructive chewing up perches digging up wildflower plants and generally making mess everywhere, as soon as I get the shot I am after they can go elsewhere! .........Well maybe not really!
    Hi Jon, probably have to agree with you, but having just got back it's been more of a catch up and talking to some Canon folk, but heading north Tuesday so lets see. The two Greys here, are, as you say destructive so somehow I think you need to protect your perches. If its not grain then did you apply texture, if yes then I would dial it back, but....
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

I like the composition here and especially the way the squirrel 'stretches' along the perch.
    Yes to a small crop at the top, not sure if something can be done about the flowers in the background.
    Subject looks sharp with nice detail and pose is really cool, great timing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

6. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool upside down pose. I like the way the rear feet are gripping.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... cool shot , IMHO.
    Just the top of the perch is not the most attractive , but I could live with it for the moment .... as long as I do not have anything better .

Color and tones are looking good to me ... just think the sharpening or texture looks somewhat " strong " in the subject and perch . But this is minor and might be just me .

TFS Andreas