Thread: Scrub Jay Showing off

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Scrub Jay Showing off

Happy to have caught this one in spite of a shadowed tail and turned/shadow'd face. Also glad I took Arash's advice and kicked the SS up to 4K as there was plenty of light. A bit of crop and had to/chose to stamp out a small Magpie to his left. It added nothing and it's presence subtracted from the main "star" of the moment. TFL.

A1/600GM/FLM Tripod/Katana Jr Gimbal

400/4000/4

C1P/PS

Name:  Scrubs-fanned-b-bpn.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  572.8 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I told you faster SS will make it shaper! super wing position man, love the details and sharpness. nailed it...the head angle is a big bummer... would be contest material with just a bit better HA

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh man that is beyond peak wing position...that is cramp-inducing extension right there! Super impressive frame, even with the head angle.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, the splayed feathers are outrageously good here. A fantastic action shotOne thing to consider: you have SO MUCH light here that you can move up from ISO 400. That would get either more DOF or more shutter speed and either would have helped to make that far wing sharper.

Are all of these recent frames from Del Valle? That's the one Regional Park in the area I haven't visited (though I have bike right passed it)! Also, are these birds being lured with food since the difference species are on top of another? I'm not suggesting any disclosure dishonesty on your part but more curious if I need to bring anything if I head over there myself. Cheers!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah Dorian, great suggestion on the F-Stop. I've kept it low to keep trees and other objects OOF, but I certainly have more room and having the back wing in focus would be a plus.

If you are BIKING past Del Valle you bike a lot! It's a good ways out into no where (at least for biking IMO)... but hey, you're younger than I am.

Of my recent shots, the Acorns from Sycamore Grove are just shots of them doing their thing. At Del Valle another photographer said I would find happier Magpies if I had shelled peanuts for lunch. He was right. And, I have not problem with it... now, having mice for lunch (mine or theirs pro-offered) is another story, but Maggie already scavenger people food at the picnic and camping area there so I'm giving them their healthiest snack of the day IMO. Anyhow, yeah, I'd take some peanuts as it gets their attention.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ing View Post
    Yeah Dorian, great suggestion on the F-Stop. I've kept it low to keep trees and other objects OOF, but I certainly have more room and having the back wing in focus would be a plus.

If you are BIKING past Del Valle you bike a lot! It's a good ways out into no where (at least for biking IMO)... but hey, you're younger than I am.

Of my recent shots, the Acorns from Sycamore Grove are just shots of them doing their thing. At Del Valle another photographer said I would find happier Magpies if I had shelled peanuts for lunch. He was right. And, I have not problem with it... now, having mice for lunch (mine or theirs pro-offered) is another story, but Maggie already scavenger people food at the picnic and camping area there so I'm giving them their healthiest snack of the day IMO. Anyhow, yeah, I'd take some peanuts as it gets their attention.
    Zero shame in the peanut game! Makes total sense and shouldn't hurt the birds. Agree 100% as to the birds being in the public areas.

As for the biking, I've kinda made a name for myself on the international birding stage because of this stunt: http://bikingforbirds.blogspot.com/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a beautiful wingspan, I really wished you'd been lucky with the head turn as you nailed your part! Nice to keep the grasses in, they help anchor the shot for me

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer pose as noted above and the head turn hurts only a bit. f/5.6 at ISO 800 might have sharpened up the far primaries a bit but that is not a necessity from where I sit. We do ask that folks let others know of any baiting or use of audio in the original post. I am fine with either in nearly all cases.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alan Murphy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool work , Jay.

Would try to get the most out of it in terms of PP work , as this is just a well worth image to invest a little bit more .

TFS Andreas