Thread: Lost, Forgotten and Forlorn

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lost, Forgotten and Forlorn

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I have recently returned from lion country, the Kruger National Park. This is where lions are said to be the most noticeable, memorable, and also the noisiest and gregarious of all cats. Must admit they have always been my favourite subjects to photograph - been browsing through a book recently where the author (Mitch Reardon) talks about the males as ' dramatic to behold, with a mane as fragrant as dried grass, an amber stare, deep chest and shoulders filled with muscle and sinew flowing under a golden skin as they move through the African bush" ... What better words to describe them?

Also saw a white lion for the first time, which was pretty awesome. But what moved me most was this subadult male who was desperately searching for his pride. He must have been sleeping when everyone got up and left. Or maybe just wandered too far. When we arrived at the scene he was frequently calling and sniffling the ground, desperately trying to pick up scent. Herewith one image of him, techs to follow.

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300 mm F2.8
    ISO 1600
    F6.3
    +1/3 EV
    1/1000s

Thank you so much for taking the time to view as well as for your comments on my previous images - much appreciated
    Image processed in LR ( 2021) and PSCC (2021)

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 09-23-2021 at 03:32 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The eye contact is great here. Nice job on the vertical framing. I like the earth tones in the grasses around the lion. A lovely frame to view.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, a super image, love the 'cautious/hesitant' expression on the cubs face. Slightly steep, but nothing you could do, perhaps a little more on the left, less on the RHS as the cubs head is slightly looking that way. DoF works here, good detail, sharp, nose to ear. May be perk the whiles and or the HLs just a fraction, think we need to expand a bit more on the tools in LR. Well done, a different 'cub' image.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much John and Steve,

Steve I agree with you about the placement of the subject within the frame, but unfortunately I do not have even a millimetre on the LHS. It is FF. And I see what you mean about the whites, will have another look. Really appreciate your time to view and comments/advice

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's just observations Gabriela, the LHS you could add, but...

It's always easier to comment from a comfy seat than being there with minimal time and a fixed lens, with a zoom there is little excuse, talk later.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    It's just observations Gabriela, the LHS you could add, but...

It's always easier to comment from a comfy seat than being there with minimal time and a fixed lens, with a zoom there is little excuse, talk later.
    Your opinion always counts, Steve And you know me by now, I always try compose well 'in camera'. But there have been a couple of occasions during this trip where I grabbed whatever combo I had handy to capture ' the moment '. This young fellow was all over the place and we did not follow him as such, taking into consideration the amount of stress he was experiencing. I still think of him and wonder whether his mom came back to fetch him. Lions don't survive on their own at this age, just too vulnerable and unable to catch their own prey. BTW I did have the D850/200-400F4 but it was in its bag

Speak soon, I sent you a few mails, nothing urgent, just some week-end entertainment

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it! Great expression, the composition is fine I like the colours and tones, great shot well done.

8. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ...
    nice one overall , the background story might not be that nice .... poor guy .

Good expression on the face and the overall quality is very nice in terms of tone , color and details . You just got away with F4 .... thanks to the shooting angle and the face being flat to the camera .

Good to see you back , hope you had a great trip

TFS Andreas

10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jon and Andreas,

Indeed I got away with F4 Andreas...Just barely:)

Had a good trip overall, unfortunately the good sightings were a little too far, Kruger Park is absolutely stunning but the roads often too far from the river bed where all the action is. I am still going through the images, there isn't much but I will process all I can
    Gabriela Plesea