Thread: Cape Barren Goose - take 2

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cape Barren Goose - take 2

I added canvas to the front and below and removed a white post in the distance.

The colours also seem a bit too warm on the bird and not so true to life - which is quite a pale, flat grey. Should I be aiming for true to life colours here or doesn't it really matter - unless you were there you wouldn't know it wasn't a warm glow from the early morning sun I guess.

A1/200-600 at 400mm

Name:  DSC05932_M_DxO_1920bcs-canvas.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  562.5 KB

Hopefully I managed to do a better job on sharpening - seems I need to mask the edges of the bird to avoid the white artefacts appearing. It that typically required or is that a sign of too much sharpening. My guess is this one might still have a little too much sharpening.

Feedback much appreciated.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My initial reaction was that the image was full of impact my eyes got the bird's eyes then the feet then the wing, so from my POV a very successful image. Regards colours, I think perhaps a little decorative, my personal choice is to try to replicate the scenario as it was, I am often encouraged to tweak them (colours) but my preference is natural nature.

3. Thanks Duncan Groenewald thanked for this post
    BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    My initial reaction was that the image was full of impact my eyes got the bird's eyes then the feet then the wing, so from my POV a very successful image. Regards colours, I think perhaps a little decorative, my personal choice is to try to replicate the scenario as it was, I am often encouraged to tweak them (colours) but my preference is natural nature.
    Thanks, back to the drawing board then.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good take-off image Duncan. I like the wings, the feet and the eye contact looks good to me. I can see you added some canvas (before I read it) so I might spend a bit more time blending that in especially where the focused grass meets the unfocused area. I think my preference is to also process close to the natural setting as possible, but it is your interpretation of that day. none of us were there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty neat take off pose you got here. Sharpness looks fine to me - but the feet seem sharper...could be the result of the texture on the skin there. I normally keep the warm glow of early morning light in. This one seems a bit yellowish - perhaps add a touch of reds, and a pinch of blue, to the overall image, but still appealingly sweet light as is.

7. Thanks Duncan Groenewald thanked for this post
    BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.

It seems PL4 does something a bit off with the white balance as this is a more natural look.

I just added canvas to the front so perhaps a bit too tight still.

Name:  DSC05932_2_DxO_1920lcz.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  552.2 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose is nice. I like the way those wing tips curl up. Nice to see the feet.

10. Thanks Duncan Groenewald thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the original, the repost is too dark

nice dynamic pose and some elements of the habitat are nice too, the big lump of dry grass right behind him is a bit distracting

the sharpness looks great form here, of course the feet will look sharper since they is more texture there...

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

12. Thanks Duncan Groenewald thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi,

her thing is so beautiful.
    good for two. It's a choice and to pass.
    congratulations

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the repost, the blacks are perhaps a little dense.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I really like the repost, the blacks are perhaps a little dense.
    They look like they are wearing wetsuit booties in real life. I agree I think somewhere halfway in-between the two posts is probably the place to be. Fiddling with colours is not something I have done much of so it is proving interesting - nothing changes like I would expect it to !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Groenewald View Post
    Thanks everyone.

It seems PL4 does something a bit off with the white balance as this is a more natural look.
    Who is the boss ? PL 4 or you ? Not ideal if the software is dictating your colors , at least IMHO .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Duncan ... image in pane 1 looks quite good to me in most counts .
    Sharpness , details and overall tones are quite nice .
    Just the overall color and saturation is a bit strong , but might suite the taste of you and others .

Regarding your sharpening and the potential halos that might appear ... no need to mask the edges in my book . Just keep the radius low and you should have no halos

TFS Andreas

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hey Duncan ... image in pane 1 looks quite good to me in most counts .
    Sharpness , details and overall tones are quite nice .
    Just the overall color and saturation is a bit strong , but might suite the taste of you and others .

Regarding your sharpening and the potential halos that might appear ... no need to mask the edges in my book . Just keep the radius low and you should have no halos

TFS Andreas
    Thanks. I suspect it is my lack of knowledge with editing that is the main problem here. I think I was using auto white balance and ended up with the wrong setting in PL4 - which raises the question of whether I should rather set the white balance on the camera instead of using auto white balance.

I will try keeping the radius low and see how that works. Halos seem to appear when downsampling depending on the algorithm used. Bicubic seems to work fine, Bicubic Sharper and Lancsoz 3 both seem to create halo's but result in a sharper downsampled file.

My workflow is like this at the moment:

1. PL4 for adjusting exposure, crop and denoise - generate 16 bit TIFF full resolution and downsampled(bicubic) file output (downsampled if no edits required)
    2. If edits, such as removal of distractions, add extra canvas, etc. required edit full resolution TIFF file in Affinity Photo and export either full resolution png or jpg or downsampled file (bicubic).
    3. Edit downsampled file with Affinity Photo and apply final sharpening and export as jpg with required compression.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Duncan ... you are not alone , it is mostly the lack of knowledge that we are running into " problems" in the processing .
    One needs to get to know his " enemies and friends" in the processing , than things are becoming easier in the process , just my take .

Personally I think a major problem is the automation that is taking over the " artists " work in the process , just by offering the automatic process in the software itself .

Cheers Andreas

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Duncan ... you are not alone , it is mostly the lack of knowledge that we are running into " problems" in the processing .
    One needs to get to know his " enemies and friends" in the processing , than things are becoming easier in the process , just my take .

Personally I think a major problem is the automation that is taking over the " artists " work in the process , just by offering the automatic process in the software itself .

Cheers Andreas
    PL4 has a few automatic things - which work great some times and other times not - and then it becomes hard to figure out how to get halfway there using a manual procedure, if indeed that is even possible. Usually I am just happy to be outside capturing the moment, but it seems we have at least another couple of months of lockdown ahead !!