Thread: Cape Barren Goose

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cape Barren Goose

A Cape Barren Goose from earlier in the year - they rarely fly but on this morning there were a lot of territorial disputes going on so we got lucky.

Added some canvas below the bird but not sure my cloning effort is very good. No content aware cropping in Affinity Photo sadly!

This was somewhat under exposed.

A1 / 200-600 at 300mm
    1/4000s iso640 f/6.3

Name:  DSC05971_M_DxO_1920.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  506.2 KB

Comments welcome of course.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat looking goose. The red eye is great. Like the pattern on the wing tips as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Which he were facing us but then we'd miss those great feet so - plus minus. Was POF towards the front wing? Mostly looks sharp but front end of wing looks sharpest to my eye.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ing View Post
    Which he were facing us but then we'd miss those great feet so - plus minus. Was POF towards the front wing? Mostly looks sharp but front end of wing looks sharpest to my eye.
    Yes sadly it was never quite facing us except right at take-off and that one is rather tight as they were quite close. I was told they never fly and of course the first thing they did was fly and I never managed to lift the iso enough in time. So it goes.

Bird Eye AF is on the eye according to the RAW file if that's what you mean by POF, but the body and feet are pretty sharp although that seems to get lost in the downsampling so perhaps some more sharpening required on the downsampled image. I think Arash needs to write a Downsampling Guide for A1 wildlife photography.

Does this look any better or just over-sharpened now. The white edging around the tail/feet and parts of the neck is some sort of sharpening/downsampling artefact I assume, this downsampling harder than photographing swallows in flight!

Name:  DSC05971_M_DxO-1.1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  582.9 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Duncan ... leaving the shooting angle aside a killer image in terms of color / tone and general appearance .
    Nice warm light and the BG is really cool .... hoping this is not one of your fake backgrounds , like in your video .
    Personally I think the added canvas is not ideal , I would add canvas to get the classy 3x2 crop .

Here on my screen the sharpening in the OP is on the money and the RP is overkill , IMHO .But folks see things differently .
    With the right software and it's tools .... downsizing is no miracle and very simple !!!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love this one, the wing position is bang on and the light was great, stands out nicely against the darker BG. I personally like the shots that are perfectly parallel to the back of the camera, some folks prefer a slight angles towards us, for me both can be attractive as long as the bird isn't angled away.

The sharpening in the original looks good to me, maybe 10% more but not as much as the repost (too much there)

stay tuned for the A1 PP guide, I just finished the AF guide last month!

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the OP better. Love the light I this, those feet are awesome, just a bit of a bummer the goose is angled away slightly. Still nicely done

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love everything but the subject-to-film plane orientation (that is only off by less than a degree ...) The bill is amazing as are the sharpness and the color.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Love everything but the subject-to-film plane orientation (that is only off by less than a degree ...) The bill is amazing as are the sharpness and the color.

with love, artie
    from here it looks perfectly parallel but it could be playing mind tricks. I think it depends on where you are sitting relative to the monitor, on a big screen with the image dead center head looks parallel to me.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    from here it looks perfectly parallel but it could be playing mind tricks. I think it depends on where you are sitting relative to the monitor, on a big screen with the image dead center head looks parallel to me.
    Artie is right, the bird took off still facing us but was a little past us by this frame but not by much - most prior to this one will be fine I think - but they are quite tight and have a more difficult foreground - for me anyway. I will do my best with a few of them and see what suggestions there are.