Thread: Snowy Fight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Fight

Attached Images Attached Images

I was not sure whether or not to post this. I love the action and was proud of getting this while my tripod laid ground level and I was capturing it while using the LED screen the find the action. The negative for me was not quite having enough DOF to get the upper bird head tack sharp. In hindsight, I wish I wasn't using my TC at this time, but most of the birds were further away until these two flew in. I like many other things about this so thought I would post it and see if it holds up.

A1, 200-600mm (at 531mm), 1.4 TC
    1/2500 at f/9
    ISO 3200
    90% of FF

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The action is superb, and the background colors spectacular. Great that you got both birds' eyes. Whites are showing a bit of blue cast on my screen. I don't remember if you use Topaz Sharpen, but it can work well on some (but not all) images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Kurt, the colors here are all world! Action is awesome and just love the pov!

Do agree with you that the eye on the back subject is just a bit out of plane. Otherwise, despite maybe coming a bit close to the upper subject's head with the crop, it is a really great one from my view.

TFS!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action and the BG is beautiful. Yes to the blue cast.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super super shot, I suggest try USM on the OOF bird - it makes all the difference

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Kurt, I wish the image was mine. Wonderful action, and a background to die for. I had a go at the JPG, I think going back to the master/original file and having another go at post processing would be worth the effort. You didn't mention what you use to post process images, I use Lightroom. On the JPG I used the white balance eyedropper clicking on the brightest whites which eliminated the slight blue cast. I then sharpened the image in Lightroom. I added a tad more sharpening on the head and neck of the right hand bird. The outstretched wing of the front bird appeared a little gray so I dodged that area and desaturated it to make it whiter. Hope you don.t mind but I think it can be a outstanding image. Thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 09-13-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt ... killer image !!!
    Love the action of the subjects .

I would partially agree with Joe and his suggestions / RP . At least he gave you a idea .
    Well worth of trying a new approach on your side , if you would agree .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action and great image with the killer N+BKGR. Joe's repost is an improvement especially the sharper eye of the rear bird.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.