Thread: Reddish Egret Fishing...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Reddish Egret Fishing...

Attached Images Attached Images

These birds are fun, they run all around flapping the wings and chasing fish. In this image if you follow the bubbles from the left to right you can see the abrupt turn the bird made chasing a fish. Image captured at Ft. Desoto in Pinellas County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF, image captured handheld bracing the camera on top of a low post
    1/4000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 640 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 09-11-2021 at 08:54 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the action and movement in this image Joe! The raised foot really adds to the action. This is why I also like to photograph Snowies for the same reason. I wish I can see and shoot these guys some day. Nice work!

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can feel the motion here Joe....Exposure looks good, as does the pose.

Will

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, you know at first glance I felt like the bubbles at left were a little distracting but I'm glad you included the narrative because it kinda makes the frame with the story. I would not have noticed the trail.

I like the colors and tones on the subject. Interesting how sharpening caused jagged edges in the whites in the head plumage going down the neck. Minor nit, but do you know why?

Overall, it would have been great if you were lower. Was this from a dock? I'd love a little more above, maybe less below.

TFS.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely framed/cropped and I love the wake/trail. The only thing that bugs me is the shadow on the undersides of the near-wing.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it! One of your best in my opinion, it is an entertaining and high IQ image. The eye really gets my attention to.
    I note Artie's reservation over the shadow...... but I don't actually see what is wrong with it, perfectly natural to me. Shadows happen that's the way I see it.
    Equally the right wing tip isn't sharp but for me it is partly DOF coupled with a little movement blur, no bad thing in my book.

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Joe, you know at first glance I felt like the bubbles at left were a little distracting but I'm glad you included the narrative because it kinda makes the frame with the story. I would not have noticed the trail.

I like the colors and tones on the subject. Interesting how sharpening caused jagged edges in the whites in the head plumage going down the neck. Minor nit, but do you know why?

Overall, it would have been great if you were lower. Was this from a dock? I'd love a little more above, maybe less below.

TFS.
    Hi Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting. Not sure where you are seeing jagged line in the white going down the neck but I have recently been using deconvolution sharpening in Lightroom. I find it easier and it helps the fine details. As for getting lower, not possible at this location. The bird was in pond/lagoon in a roped off area. I got as low as I could just above the bushes with the camera and hand resting on top of a low post.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Nicely framed/cropped and I love the wake/trail. The only thing that bugs me is the shadow on the undersides of the near-wing.

with love, artie
    Hi Artie, thank you for viewing and commenting. The shadows bugged me a little also but couldn't do anything about them, so they are what they are.
    Joe Przybyla

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Love it! One of your best in my opinion, it is an entertaining and high IQ image. The eye really gets my attention to.
    I note Artie's reservation over the shadow...... but I don't actually see what is wrong with it, perfectly natural to me. Shadows happen that's the way I see it.
    Equally the right wing tip isn't sharp but for me it is partly DOF coupled with a little movement blur, no bad thing in my book.
    Hi Jon, thank you for viewing and commenting. I think you are correct that the right wing tip isn't sharp because of depth of field. Thank focus point what on the head and neck and the bird with wings spread is quite large.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice action you captured Joe. Like the raised foot. Think the bubbles add to the scene as it shows the birds path. DOF on the far wing is fine for me as the foot and head are well focused.
    Robert Kimbrell

16. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe ... such a cool capture and glad you mentioned the bubbles , it adds to the story .
    Overall i do like it a lot . Color and tones are very nice ....
    Can only agree with Brian about the jagged edges ( fringes) in the neck area , and I am puzzled about your reply regarding these things . I think you are a long time LR user ... so what's new ... you use the deconvolution sharpening all the time . And those jagged edges are coming from TOPAZ and not LR .... at least IMHO .

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Joe ... such a cool capture and glad you mentioned the bubbles , it adds to the story .
    Overall i do like it a lot . Color and tones are very nice ....
    Can only agree with Brian about the jagged edges ( fringes) in the neck area , and I am puzzled about your reply regarding these things . I think you are a long time LR user ... so what's new ... you use the deconvolution sharpening all the time . And those jagged edges are coming from TOPAZ and not LR .... at least IMHO .

TFS Andreas
    Hi Andreas, thank you for viewing and commenting. I guess I forgot to post a redo using Neat Image and Lightroom for sharpening. I agree the jagged edges come from Topaz sharpening. Here is a repost. WDYT?
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, sorry for the late reply. I think you figured it out.

Do like the texture and sharpening a good bit more in the second!