Thread: Ibis

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ibis

Name:  ibisa.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  90.0 KB
    Taken at Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island, Florida.
    Nikon D5300
    Tamron 70-300
    No postprocessing. Taken 4 yr ago before I knew about postprocessing
    Resized for posting with RawTherapee
    Please critique. Thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Saul, glad to see you posting an image!

I love these ibises. I know most of the locals down south all but ignore them, but whenever I travel to Florida I am always more than happy to see them. You got the exposure pretty much perfect, and the striated reflection is rather neat. The subject is rather centered, it would have been beneficial to point your camera well to your left (halving the space at right), this would have strengthened the composition. It's also a bit of a messy habitat with the protruding branches. Tough to avoid unless waiting for the ibis to walk into a cleaner spot. In this case I would have waited for it to clear the bit touching its bill (or before). If you are ok with it, it would be easy to remove it in post with cloning/patch/quick mask. Getting down low to its eye level would have also dramatically changed to feel of the image, for the better, but to the detriment of losing the cool reflection...I supposes its often a game of gaining some and losing some.

Lastly, it would help critique if you include exif data (SS, aperture, ISO, etc.), and post larger versions - you can go up to 1920 horizontally, up to 600kb.

Make yourself at home here on the forums, and please don't be shy to critique others' works or to ask questions!

3. Thanks Saul Furstein thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A big welcome Saul....I agree with Dan's critique....some great info there....Although the image is presented small in size, it looks like you got the exposure spot on here...The whites look good and the pose on the bird is nice, head angle etc are good....Yes , posted larger would give us a better look...The reflection adds....Looking forward to more of your work...Thanks for sharing.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good tips already. Hope to see some more.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed all points covered, I am looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Daniel’s critique, but wanted to say welcome to BPN and I look forward to seeing more from you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for all the helpful comments. I will work on posting a larger image. On my first upload attempt, I got an error message that the image was too large. I thought I made the image only slightly smaller to get it to upload.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Furstein View Post
    Thank you for all the helpful comments. I will work on posting a larger image. On my first upload attempt, I got an error message that the image was too large. I thought I made the image only slightly smaller to get it to upload.
    Welcome, Saul. 1920 pixels on the long side, 1280 on the other, at less than 595 KB.

As Dan suggested, look for clean backgrounds.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Saul! Good critique from Dan. I think I know where at Ding this was taken; tough to get a lower POV there, so you did well.