Thread: Theme: The Scowl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: The Scowl

Attached Images Attached Images

Another from my Tawny Frogmouth session. At one stage the bird opened it's eye and proceeded to give some soft calls which I suspect was in response to calls from another roosting not too far away.
    In any case it doesn't look too impressed with whatever was said!
    R5 EF600 III tripod
    1/500 f6.3 iso1600 manual
    Competing with Artie's heron crop this is 5 mp, chopped the head off the full frame bird.
    DPP4 CCPS2021
    Slight lift of exposure, NR to BG only, sharpen only after resize for posting USM 30/1
    Last edited by Colin Driscoll; 09-07-2021 at 12:35 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice detail for such a large crop. Wish you had a bit more DOF to get the beak totally sharp too. I am not a fan of the tree right behind the head hough.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin ... great to see the eye and the close up would be great , if it was a somewhat " normal " crop .
    You and others might find this ok or even good , my personal thinking is against this hefty pixel bashing . Might look ok here and in social media ... will never work in printing .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well the frogmouth does not look pleased having it's photo taken. Certainly fits the theme well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin....to me it's all about the camo....The bird is 'naturally' looking like how it should. I do think that you pushed it too much as far as a photograph goes ....the whole bird against the tree BG looked better in my opinion....Would love to come across a bird like this in daylight hours....A great opportunity, and I am sure you were well pleased to discover this bird in it's natural daylight setting...

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird is I appreciate intentionally large in the frame but I feel it is too big, for me it is somehow not comfortable to appreciate the whole head. I feel a lesser crop would also improve the IQ.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the open eye. All is looks fine to me.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.