Thread: Leopard

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leopard

Attached Images Attached Images

With no light at the end of the tunnel currently with CV-19 restrictions, Africa, India & Svalbard seem a long, long way away sadly and so revisiting old files can only bring back the fond and wonderful memories of great encounters.

This young male Leopard we shadowed for a short while in the morning, here he had dropped down into an old dried up channel, and so an old sand bar gave a nice elevation for the Leopard and being slightly lower even in the vehicle, gave a low angle to shoot from.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Leopard (Panthera pardus)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark I
    Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/640s at f/7.1 ISO2500 EV +1
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 2021 (10.4) & PS2021 (22.05.0)
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very special sighting

Nice POV Steve, and that direct stare just makes the image for me. Love the relaxed pose and mouth open. Frame is perfectly exposed and there is great detail everywhere where it matters. Colours spot on ( love those whites on the chest!). Subject is nicely framed by vegetation, great composition... cannot wish for anything more.

Surprised you have not shared this image until now? I really like it as presented, PP work is just stunning. Feeling a little jealous, on my last trip to Kruger I had a number of leopard sightings but in extremely busy environments, tried to process a few but not satisfied with the outcome so never shared them.

Really enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing Hope to see some leopards in September, if we are able to go to Kruger Park. Things rather tense in SA as you know, but we remain positive and hopeful.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve , does look like a nice specimen you have shadowed !!!
    Well worth the time spent ... and getting a decent , albeit not a " spectacular" shot .
    I do like the partly hidden subject ... created some depth to the image .
    Framing does look good .. will trust your skills when it comes to the editing front .

Leopard is mostly somehow special ...

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folk, and yes Leopards are special, but it’s great when they also cooperate too as you both know.

We will talk further Gabriela before you go I’m sure Gabriela, Jon will need to switch the lights off.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous looking leopard. Nice to be eye leve. The direct stare is great. Detail looks spot on.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it but overall a tiny bit bright for me, a little more colouration in the leopard coat would not go amiss........ but not a bad shot!

Steve even if the travel restrictions were lifted by the end of the year I will certainly not be travelling abroad for some time. Airports/customs were always stressful/boring/unpleasant for me I hated them and now I think the whole process of air travel would be an even more tedious experience, coupled with the suspicion that someone somewhere will certainly be carrying the infection into the airport or associated travel facilities. Just not worth it as far as I am concerned, I will wait and see what UK has to offer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it but overall a tiny bit bright for me, a little more colouration in the leopard coat would not go amiss........ but not a bad shot!
    Jon, set within a river bed and overcast you are not going to get saturated colours sadly.

Steve even if the travel restrictions were lifted by the end of the year I will certainly not be travelling abroad for some time.
    I agree Jon, especially when travelling to countries where the uptake of vaccinations are little, zero, or folk where folk think CV-19 is fake news!!!! I got pinged on the App last Friday, within the hour I had the PCR test, Saturday afternoon all clear, but am heading off into Europe for a break and where the virus is limited and we will be taking all the precautions we can.

I will wait and see what UK has to offer.
    September could be an Indian Summer..., but things are getting closer to Autumnal and nights are drawing in, so not sure what might be on offer, hides full of coughing folk huddled together, no thank you.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, set within a river bed and overcast you are not going to get saturated colours sadly.

I agree Jon, especially when travelling to countries where the uptake of vaccinations are little, zero, or folk where folk think CV-19 is fake news!!!! I got pinged on the App last Friday, within the hour I had the PCR test, Saturday afternoon all clear, but am heading off into Europe for a break and where the virus is limited and we will be taking all the precautions we can.

September could be an Indian Summer..., but things are getting closer to Autumnal and nights are drawing in, so not sure what might be on offer, hides full of coughing folk huddled together, no thank you.

I would not intend going in commercial hides, I have done it once and I came out feeling totally unrewarded, as if any success was attributable to someone else.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks folk, and yes Leopards are special, but it’s great when they also cooperate too as you both know.

We will talk further Gabriela before you go I’m sure Gabriela, Jon will need to switch the lights off.
    I would really like to see some leopards during the upcoming trip to Kruger but not getting my hopes up in terms of photography. Nevertheless camera gear is ready, batteries charged, busy preparing some hard drives ( well... just in case )
    Gabriela Plesea