Thread: Barn Owl (Tito alba)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barn Owl (Tito alba)

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a file I have revisited, the hand held image was captured in April 2020. I don't know the entire reason why but I think the image looks reasonable on the web but when I look at the web sized image in PSCC it shows much better detail.

Olympus: E-M1X
    Focal Length : 420.0mm (300mm & MC14)
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 6400
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/1600 sec
    Aperture : F5.6
    Flash : OFF

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, a sweet subject and one I envy to shoot. Looks like nice even light and pretty setting.

Looks pretty solid for ISO 6400. Love the fine feathers on the bridge of the beak.

Perhaps you could deal with the noise on the subject just a bit more, specifically around the eye and neutrals on the near wing. The rest looks pretty decent. A touch more left in frame might be nice too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you like it Brian - did you notice the difference in PSCC?
    The noise was not really apparent to me - probably because I don't go looking for it, I have stopped pixel peeping I think it is destructive I now look at images purely to enjoy rather than deliberately find fault. If I see something more obvious like colours or composition then of course I would comment. Having said that I must admit to being a little obsessive about detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, I cannot notice any difference in PS vs here. Would one expect to? Are you using dark mode or light mode? Sometimes it makes a difference when you post on BPN with the bright white margins.

FWIW, I hear ya. However, first glance usually tells a good bit about what we're seeing and I noticed the graininess in the face pretty quickly. Perhaps pixel peeping is more at the raw/full size TIF level anyway? Hard to pp at 1900 across.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Jon, I cannot notice any difference in PS vs here. Would one expect to? Are you using dark mode or light mode? Sometimes it makes a difference when you post on BPN with the bright white margins.

FWIW, I hear ya. However, first glance usually tells a good bit about what we're seeing and I noticed the graininess in the face pretty quickly. Perhaps pixel peeping is more at the raw/full size TIF level anyway? Hard to pp at 1900 across.
    I am beginning to wonder if 1900 px and 595kb is not a good combination. I see the graininess and probably a reduction in sharpening and maybe a tad less luminosity would improve that.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, do you think 1900px is actually what you see on screen, or could it actually be a lot smaller????? Have you checked that your screen is displaying the correct size. If not after measuring you may need to adjust based on ‘print’ size in PSCC.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a beautiful bird I have never had the opportunity to photograph. I love the colors and feathers of the bird, perfect background. Really like this image, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

8. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, do you think 1900px is actually what you see on screen, or could it actually be a lot smaller????? Have you checked that your screen is displaying the correct size. If not after measuring you may need to adjust based on ‘print’ size in PSCC.
    Sorry I don't understand how big should a 1900px be in mm on a 27" screen, it is approx 52.8cm. It certainly changes size when I view in a new window i.e. it goes smaller to fit the screen if there is an image made to a large height (1900px) dimension.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Did you do what we discussed earlier today, ie measure a 5x4 and does the screen exactly a 5x4 or is it out?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... nice one , just think it would have been a bit nicer with a tighter turn towards the viewer . But this is many times not in our hands ....and you have tried your best I think .
    In terms of tone and color I am fine with the BG , just think the subject could go a bit deeper in the tonal range . The HL do look very flat ?? Have you recovered them ??

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The view of the back plumage is beautiful, but the lack of eye contact smoothed facial details make really hurt. It would also be nice to see more of that far wing. Position in the frame with lots of room to the left is perfect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My favorite part of this image is that pattern on the owls back.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, I think the overall IQ is lacking sadly, albeit I feel there is more 'clarity' towards the back end rather than the face. Overall it does look flat, and I feel you could just perk it up, how far is personal prefs. The dark blob in the middle of the trim at the foot must go.

Sorry image still had it in on the RP.

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 08-25-2021 at 11:52 AM.

15. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post