Thread: Bog bean

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bog bean

Attached Images Attached Images

Image captured in the garden pond.
    Olympus OMD EM 1X 300mm f4 & MC14 (35mm equiv 840mm )
    ISO 200, 1/160 sec f5.6
    Stack of 19 images FD3

ACR Zerene Stacker PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 08-21-2021 at 06:04 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have you tried the 60mm lens?

Like this Jon, nice clean BKG, although I'm not sure of the two tone cutting through the actual subject. Nice overall detail, but think you could still 'sculpt' the light a bit more, especially on the top buds, you see what I mean. Leave, 50/50 for me, looks cleaner without, but perhaps it adds context here.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hear you Steve but nature is seldom perfect, it is always my intention to keep as near as possible to reality. A few "imperfections" here and there reinforce the natural composition for me. I always have reservations over "perfect images".

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hear you too, all I’m suggesting is that we try to present the subject in the best light we can, no pun intended. In addition, using our skills and the software available, the goal is also to take a 2D image and convert to a 3D and show the subject off to the best of our abilities.

Manipulating an image even in the most simplistic of turns, ie exposure and colour were are still changing what the camera saw, therefore taking a few more steps to… shall we say enhance the frame isn’t detrimental or cheating, otherwise why shoot Raw, a JPEG straight out of the camera would suffice????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I hear you too, all I’m suggesting is that we try to present the subject in the best light we can, no pun intended. In addition, using our skills and the software available, the goal is also to take a 2D image and convert to a 3D and show the subject off to the best of our abilities.

Manipulating an image even in the most simplistic of turns, ie exposure and colour were are still changing what the camera saw, therefore taking a few more steps to… shall we say enhance the frame isn’t detrimental or cheating, otherwise why shoot Raw, a JPEG straight out of the camera would suffice????
    Steve I will be posting images taken with 60mm before long.
    You are not saying anything different to what I am regarding processing, what I was saying was altering the background is not in my book quite the same thing as boosting/reducing contrast and colour etc.. Steve, you know I will alter backgrounds if I have to, but if I don't think it is of consequence then I won't.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That’s fine Jon, I think we both will endeavour to do our best re BKG, but working within the restraints.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice detail. The blue and green go great together. The stacking worked well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful. No wonder it is so sharp! Really well done.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.