Thread: Female Goldfinch

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female Goldfinch

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot in Nd from the car little Honda CRV truck doesn't work trust me. I have a road with four miles of wild sunflowers with plenty of Goldfinches just hard to sneak up on one. Maybe one an hour or nothing. Then we have murphy about the time start to shoot here comes a car on a very remote rd. Go figure.
    I got tired of going in the sloughs and getting wet and bitten by who knows what so I thought I would take a break for a few weeks.
    Processed with Dpp 4, Photoshop,Topaz noise. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500f/4 11
    700 mm
    Av 5.6
    1/1600
    ISO 1600

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin, classic Goldie on sunflower; pretty! Sweet pose with nice HA and the food in mouth bumps it up.

Plentiful details. I like that the bloom is also sharp, and the distant oof flower also works for me although I could see a version reducing the boldness of the dark green.

To my eyes it appears it could benefit from a tint adjustment reducing magenta by a few points. You can also see for yourself hovering over the image with the dropper tool in LR to assess the RGB values in the neutrals. Take a look and see if you agree.

Otherwise, this might benefit from a bit boxier crop with a bit more left to look into and less on top. Personal matter really. TFS.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Brian your right on the magenta and I fooled with it as it was worse. Also on the crop the next one I did in the box crop. I know some don't like it but I think it probably looks better with this small of a subject. Again Appreciate your thoughts.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A sweet canvas with wonderful details and color. I also like the OOF plant/flower. TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, quite a nice shot and I really like the way the head of the sunflower is slightly bent forward creating the feeling of the Goldfinch perching and the weight pushing it forward. Think some more DoF would have helped especially for the tail, and upping it would not have any issues to the backdrop or IQ the files of the MK3 are epic. Not so keen on the OOF plant in the BKG is rather distracting and dominant IMHO.

The image does have a slight Magenta cast creating a slight 'grubby' appearance to the colours, mainly the whites, but addressing that isn''t the key, getting a better WB is as you will find. Also did you lift the darks they appaer a little thin. No need to adjust any of the darks within DPP on import unless they are heavily clipped unlike Lr. I think you may have also tweaked some of the colours in the HSL panel which being global have also altered the look of other colours too, so this isn't the go to panel always for Colour Adj, but I might be wrong.

Was this shot portrait or landscape, as I can see another version in landscape. As presented I might come up at the foot to crop out the green in the corner but then it does appear a bit top heavy above with too much negative space.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It was shot in portrait and I have one other in the sequence that I did a square crop which I think is better suited. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.