Thread: Welcome Swallow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Welcome Swallow

Attached Images Attached Images

So...here we are in lock down again in Brisbane, so more time for editing. Recently I spent time trying to photograph a Swallow in flight, but even at 1/8000th sec they were not sharp. I went back to 1/2000th sec photographing other birds, but managed this shot as another Swallow zoomed past. It's the best I've done to date with my current gear. Not the best IQ, I know...maybe it would be easier with a Canon R5 or Sony A9/A1

Nikon D500/500PF, 1/2000th sec@f5.6, iso800, HH.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb execution on a difficult to create canvas. Congrats and TFS.

ps
    Would be difficult to get and need that good stuff between the ears with any rig. You did well with less than ideal light, my friend.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David. Thanks as always for your kind feedback. Although I'm happy with my current gear I am looking at going mirrorless at some stage. Choices at the moment are A9ii/200-600, R5/100-500, R3 (when it comes out...although only 24MP I believe) and Nikon Z9 (although that may be similar in price to the Sony A1?) Lots of choices now...going to wait and see. Your point about "the good stuff between the ears" is very valid

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul very hard subject and you will get better or need some luck too. Overall I think you did Ok keep shooting . TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, pretty sweet flight pose here. Nice wing spread and so kind of it to give you the courtesy of a head tilt toward the lens!

You're right, it's not perfectly sharp but pretty stinking good with the D500 IMO, esp at 1/2000. Always better at higher SS even if the others you took weren't sharp... at least you know it wasn't the SS, but most likely just not locked on focus, which is why swallows can break a photographer's will :-)

I'd like to see one with a bit more sharpening, esp around the head to see if you can eek any more out. Try one with a touch less contrast too maybe and see if that produces a little better presentation. TFS!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Kevin and Brian...really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. We're in lock down here again...supposedly until Sunday, but with more cases of the delta variant that may not be the case, so no chance of getting out with the camera. Will definitely keep trying for better shots! Cheers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice swallow shot, Kevin. Really like the head turn, esp as its into the light. TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jay...appreciate the feedback

Paul (not Kevin)