Thread: Blue tailed damselfly (Ischnura elegans)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue tailed damselfly (Ischnura elegans)

Attached Images Attached Images

Same subject as previously but a faster shutter speed this time:

Olympus E-M1X
    Focal Length : 420.0mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 1000
    Exposure compensation : -0.3 EV
    Shutter : 1/400 sec
    Aperture : F9

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I really can't see any difference between the two images????

So a couple of questions:
    - The Wings are super fine with detail, but the leaf lacks the same?
    - Bottom DF, the left 'sphere' of the head is soft compared to the RHS
    - Ditto the two limbs from the body?
    - Moving left, would it have created a better POV, with the 'coupling' more in view without the wing over part of it?

I might darken the LG spot near the head of the top DF.
    Maybe less on the LHS and more on the right?
    Getting a bit more tonal range in the stem may also help?

All of the above from a novice!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, lots to learn for me. Steve's suggestions seem to make sense.

What lens?

What I'm curious about is do you treat noise any different in macro than in normal wildlife? For instance, you can see what appears to be a little noise in the wings in terms of slight pixelation in the blacks transitioning to whites or tan bkg.

I love that you can see all the fine hairs around the eyes and body.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, the answer to your questions are probably distilled into one reply - subject movement. You also have to remember that when taking macro shots you get what you are given so I can assure you I adopted the best position I could under those circumstances which is not the same thing as the ideal position. Moving this way or that would have meant shooting through obstacles like grasses plants etc.
    The stem doesn't concern me one iota it is fine for me.
    Darkening the damsels can be done in fact I did, making them any darker I feel makes them look unnatural. I think we always or at least often have this debate, you always want to make images as presentable/optimal (if you get my drift?) I am more concerned in capturing the scene/subject as I saw it.

Brian the image was hand held using a 300mm +MC14 extender so this is 420mm so this equates to 840mm 35mm full frame.
    Noise reduction if applied is using a similar technique be it birds mammals or insects.
    I do not see the pixelation you mention or any noise of consequence in the wings, the light hits the wings and is diffracted this coupled with a variable background produces different appearances. I must say I no longer pixel peep at my images, - advice I was given by a famous wildlife photographer, essentially he was saying look at the picture not the pixels, at first I thought he was just being a little carefree but I now take his advice, I just look at images from the regular viewing distance. I feel if I have to go closer then I am looking for fault not looking at the image as it was expected to be looked at - and to some extent losing the enjoyment of looking at the image. I think sometimes there is a tendency to overanalyse images and lose sight of the fact that we (or at least I) take them for fun or enjoyment. I am not trying to impose my view - it is just the way I view things now - as opposed to say 3-4 years ago when I used to almost tear my images apart looking for fault, now I get much more fun out of photography.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am more concerned in capturing the scene/subject as I saw it.
    And so you should Jon, but you owe it to both you and the subject to present it in the best 'light', no pun intended. I just think if you just slowed down in your desire to get something out & share with others, maintain a more uniform WF and not dart off in another direction, you can accomplish both of our wishes as we both know some of these rabbit tunnels you have gone down has not been that successful. I'm only saying this because I know how hard you work and if I didn't think it was worth doing I wouldn't, you know that.

You know where I am if you want to discuss further.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hear you Steve but if you don't go down a tunnel you don't know what is there, I am always going to be trying different things, it does not trouble me one little bit if some images are perceived as not so good - it just points me on what not to pursue. I could standardise to some extent indeed I do but life can become monotonous.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, you are the boss, it’s your call, not mine.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, you are the boss, it’s your call, not mine.
    Exactly, we submit images for differing reasons, I do not necessarily submit an image because it is the best I can do I submit because I want an opinion - because I do it all in the name of fun, I am not deadly serious about producing an impeccable image, I think we all know what flawless images look like.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one more than the next. Just because of the wing positions. Great behavior captured though.

10. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post