Thread: Australian King Parrot male

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Australian King Parrot male

Attached Images Attached Images

R5 EF 600 f4 HH
    1/1000 f5.6 iso6400 +1.3ev

DPP4 CCPS 2021 cropped, NR to BG, light sharpen, removed a bright patch in BG
    Could do with a touch more head turn but best available, bird was continually looking around.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin, think I recognize this fella. Same one you posted a while back?

Colors are gorgeous for sure. You captured a nice solid backdrop for this subject.

More head turn would have been nice, but the main nit I have is it seems there were some issues when applying noise reduction. There are various areas where the plumage is completely smooth and then immediately transitions into some noisy spots.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin I agree the plumage is partly detailed and partly smudged, (see shoulder and the back where there is a transition from orange to green) I also suspect this is NR.
    I am a little surprised, given the +1.3 exposure that a lot of NR was required - was it Topaz? If it was it is worthwhile looking at the different styles as well as amount, also I would suggest no sharpening at all prior to Topaz..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for commenting. Here is a screen shot of the tiff straight out of DPP showing a lot of noise.
    It seems my R5 is very unforgiving in shaded and OOF areas. I used Neat Image for NR.
    I did try Topaz on the RAW but it couldn't handle the strong orange.
    Brian, this is a regular backyard visitor, I don't feed any birds in my yard, just let them come and go as they please.
    In this instance this bird was with its mate checking out a large hollow stump for a potential nest site given spring is on its way here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How much of a crop Colin....That RP is showing excessive noise even for 6400.......

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Big crop Will, down to 3MP, too ambitious? The noise level won't change, just become a bit more visible?
    Neat Image 8 reads the same noise level in the full TIFF

Threads
    Thank You Posts

3 mp crop?? I would quit bird photography if I have to do this....
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan nailed it. This subject was way too far away. You can do all the processing you want, but you're not going to get a decent image when you're keeping 3MP of 45 at any ISO. You have to find a way to get closer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Actually I was near right on closest focus for the 600 a bit over 16 m away and it is a large bird that took up half of the vertical format I shot with.
    What is within the dof looks pretty sharp to me with no noise.
    Have I correctly worked out the crop? 5464x8192 down to 1864x1492.

Thanks so much for the input, blunt or otherwise, much appreciated

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The focus limit on Canon 600/4 III is 4.2 meters. It might be helpful to see the full frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Correct Dorian, I was about 15 meters away and was thinking of one of the switches on the 600 i.e. 16m to ∞
    Anyway here is the full frame with the female photo bombing in the BG

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin ... good that you posted the original .
    After seeing the original I think the OP is actually not bad , no wonder that you have massive IQ loss .
    For a better critique it would be good , if you would clarify things beforehand .

Personally I think it is not worth the editing effort ... when throwing away such an amount of pixels , but your call .

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, after taking to Jon, lets try and turn some of the more negatives into positives here and if you want to fire off the raw, then happy to take a look. Also some of the settings from your MK3 you can't apply to the R5 for Eye detection, so you might wish to review some of the camera settings.

The tiff doesn't really help, apart from showing the whole capture, re noise, depends on what you call noise, but seriously at 6400 it's not a problem and you have detail. If you exposed ETTR and just have a hint of blinkies then perfect no problem and you will have a huge amount of data to work from. Not sure why you wanted to crop so tight, I like the parrots pose and seeing the whole subject, but the one in the BKG you can easily loose and the HL on the LHS can easily be addressed/fixed. If the HL is constant element then pop something in front and if you have enough distance between subject and BKG all good. If the BKG is an issue and this is a constant source of photogrphy for yourself then buy some camo netting from Amazon and hang it up, job done.

Colin I cannot create miracles from your Tiff, but I would take time to revisit the file, revise your cropping and take another shot, I think its worth it.

Good luck.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, beautiful parrot, nice perch, with a revisit this could be a really nice image. Steve's edit shows the potential. I also wondered after seeing the original why you wanted to crop so tight. Beautiful bird and overall image, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, spot on - it has potential!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, that bird does might 'take up' 40% of the linear vertical distance, but the bird is skinny and resolution works in two dimensions. So, the bird really 'takes up' < 10% of the total pixels. Just something to consider.

That sad, I think the wider view that Steve worked up is passable. Isolating a headshot from a wide view is not advisable.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, a couple of settings I do need to check later, but shoot Raw, not C-Raw you don't shoot enough to warrant C-Raw, plus you don't know what data the camera is throwing away.

Cases, this -2, +2 no no no, it's wrong, static subject with zero, zero Case 1 (I think) or if you have to zero, +1, or even Auto

The Raw is perfectly sharp, with minimal noise, perhaps another third of a stop, but don't crop as hard. Shoot portrait or landscape, don't shoot landscape then crop, minimal cropping and a simple workflow and you are there. Will drop you a line later.

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin, last question, why isn’t Animal eye detection set up, it’s ideal for this, locks into the eye snd you can recompose so easily whilst still tracking the subject?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, I do have animal eye detect set. As for the cases, I had set up for BIF and saw the bird out the back and didn't take time to change because they can be pretty flighty.
    Thanks to everyone for the input, will see how I go for the next post.