Thread: Reddish Egret

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Reddish Egret

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was captured at a stop along Blackpoint Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, Merritt Island, Florida. I was fortunate to find this gorgeous bird in full breeding plumage and colors perched on a small island not far from the road. Sitting on top of the banking at the edge of the road I captured images of this bird. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF, Handheld
    1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 2000 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great look a the "mane". Even when not in full breeding colours these guys are stunning. I'm OJK with the square crop here.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, species like this make me envious I'm not in the gulf/pacific region. How do you not love that bright pink/purple beak!?

Nice pose on this one. Quite a bit of detail available and 5.6 was just enough to get the beak tip too! Solid on the noise reduction but still seems to be pretty grainy on the gray back area.

Overall a nice crop. Like how you kept the left most chest feathers intact. Maybe could leave just a touch more left if you had it (shift subject right?). Also, pulling it into LR it appeared it could benefit from a few points warmth from my seat.

TFS Joe.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool bird Joe, WB looks about bang on, but +5 on the Tint just lifts the green a bit more. Great detail, but add an RGB Curves channel adjustment and it just pops a bit more and you see more detail in the grey/blue plumage IMHO. Well done.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    A great look a the "mane". Even when not in full breeding colours these guys are stunning. I'm OJK with the square crop here.
    Thanks Dan, I appreciate and value your comments.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Hi Joe, species like this make me envious I'm not in the gulf/pacific region. How do you not love that bright pink/purple beak!?

Nice pose on this one. Quite a bit of detail available and 5.6 was just enough to get the beak tip too! Solid on the noise reduction but still seems to be pretty grainy on the gray back area.

Overall a nice crop. Like how you kept the left most chest feathers intact. Maybe could leave just a touch more left if you had it (shift subject right?). Also, pulling it into LR it appeared it could benefit from a few points warmth from my seat.

TFS Joe.
    Hi Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting. Just far enough for the bill to be in focus using F/5.6, I need to shoot open because of limited light, overcast sky. I probably can reduce the grain/noise in the grays and dark using the Adjustment Brush for a local adjustment with a luminosity mask to limit the adjustment to only the darks. Thanks again...
    Joe Przybyla

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Cool bird Joe, WB looks about bang on, but +5 on the Tint just lifts the green a bit more. Great detail, but add an RGB Curves channel adjustment and it just pops a bit more and you see more detail in the grey/blue plumage IMHO. Well done.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting. I will try raising the Tint +5 and a RBG curve channel adjustment. I appreciate your suggestions, always a good guide.
    Joe Przybyla

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amounts & percentages are purely personal Joe, but…
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the windblown mane!
    Agree about the noise on the gray feathers.
    Gail

14. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post