Thread: Tickle me...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tickle me...

Attached Images Attached Images

I spent 3 weeks getting up at 5:30am in early June to document a nesting pair of Northern flickers at an eye level nest who got very use to me and a friend and
    allowed us to photo them at very close distance without a blind.
    Here is a nice moment...
    D500, 300mm, f4, 1/2500, iso2000
    PP in Capture one, Affinity photo.
    tic-1600 2.jpg
    Last edited by dankearl; 07-25-2021 at 11:35 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As you say a nice moment indeed. I think the image would be a little easier on the eye if you toned down the 3-6 highlights, not that they are overexposed but the dry wood on the tree and the rump feathers appear bright when areas of the background are so dark.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Dan

What a great scene to capture well done mate. For my untrained eye all the components are there but the PP seems to be letting you down IMHO

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Wayne, I have no idea what you are talking about..... it is sharp, well exposed, not noisy for iso2000 on a D500. There is plenty of detail, what exactly is wrong with the PP???
    I keep getting told this but this photo looks fine to me.
    These are extremely difficult photos to get, all of the feeding and behavior happens in split seconds...
    If you have a specific thing you think is "not there", let me know.
    I do appreciate critiques but I honestly think this is a good photo of a difficult subject.
    Apparently you and others here don't, I don't know how to respond anymore to this kind of critique.
    A lot of people have stopped posting and commenting, this may have something to do with it...
    Last edited by dankearl; 07-27-2021 at 02:44 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the photo (nice action... nice title), like the detail and tone. TFS. Keep posting... of course.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    Thanks Wayne, I have no idea what you are talking about..... it is sharp, well exposed, not noisy for iso2000 on a D500. There is plenty of detail, what exactly is wrong with the PP???
    I keep getting told this but this photo looks fine to me.
    These are extremely difficult photos to get, all of the feeding and behavior happens in split seconds...
    If you have a specific thing you think is "not there", let me know.
    I do appreciate critiques but I honestly think this is a good photo of a difficult subject.
    Apparently you and others here don't, I don't know how to respond anymore to this kind of critique.
    A lot of people have stopped posting and commenting, this may have something to do with it...
    Hey Dan

I absolutely concur with your view that it is a good photo of a difficult subject and I said as much in my comment, all i'm saying is that I think it could be even better than what you have presented. I commented honestly with aim of adding value not to be seen to be negative and I apologize if this is how you have taken it. I believe this to be true of all those on this forum, some are able to be more specific with support of their critique, I unfortunately do not have that knowledge I wish I had so I could tell you exactly what I am seeing that can be corrected, Jonathan gave an option maybe you should try that. You shoot a lot of great pics and always of interesting subjects and you are an asset to this forum for it.

Cheers

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the title and the image. Nice one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful opportunity you had with this nest.
    Very nice interaction.
    The chick looks a bit crunchy to my eye- did you sharpen him separately?
    He is perhaps a bit out of the DOF at F4.
    The NR is quite aggressive on the BG, just too smooth for my taste.
    I think that what Wayne was trying to say is that the image feels a bit overprocessed.
    That is what I am seeing,
    Gail