Thread: Common Loon Chick

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Loon Chick

Attached Images Attached Images

I had timed my trip to Maine in hopes of getting the classic Loon chick-on-parents-back shot. (It was also the only week my sister could put us up in her house on Mt. Desert Island, so I didn't have a lot of choice.) Alas, the lone chick on this particular pond was well past the free-ride stage, and appeared like a large brown ball of fluff. He/she had learned to dive, and was getting only occasional fish from the lone parent in the pond. Still, it was a treat to sit in my little canoe, tucked against the shore of a small island amidst water lilies, and watch parent and chick almost within paddle's reach, for the better part of an hour. This is the offspring of the Loon that I posted the other day.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 550mm, ISO 1250, 1/4000 @ f/6.3 manual.

(ps, looking at this as posted, I wonder if it could have used one degree of CCW rotation.)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill

Cute bird, nice low angle shot and colours from the lilly pads. For me the bird itself seems a touch to bright and there is quite a halo around its head. Still a great shot TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the colors/leaves in the foreground - but find them distracting in the bkg. Just me I guess... TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like the light was getting quite harsh.
    I like the colors in the water as they frame the brown chick nicely.
    And yes to a bit of rotation!
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You handled the overhead light very well. The lily pads in the water add some nice color. If those are lily pads.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all. When I put the boat in the water there was a nice morning cloudy-bright sky. I knew the loon family was somewhere on the pond, but by the time I paddled around the whole pond and finally found them behind a little island, the nice light had become harsh overhead. Wayne, you may be right about the chick looking too light.