Thread: White-Tailed Kite Incoming

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-Tailed Kite Incoming

Recent outing for WTK. Parents were still tending their young.

A1+600GM+2TC, HH
    1250/3200/8
    C1P/PS/Topas DnAi

Name:  WTK-in-1-redwork-dn-spr-bpn.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  596.9 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific incoming screaming pose. Nicely exposed. Bird stands out well against plain BG. As an option, I could imagine cropping to something like a pano, removing just part of the oof pine needles. But lovely as posted.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, man what a cool landing pose. And that salty SoCal bkg we've seen from you, so nice.

Like the calling posture and just enough of the pines to tell a story. Light isn't quite perfect but can deal with that.

What's most fascinating is that both wing tips and primaries appear to be more IF than the legs and feet. That stumps me a bit, perhaps a little motion blur although I wouldn't expect much at 1/3200...

Overall, enjoying your flight frames!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the crop personally. I agree with Brian about the legs being OOF...seems like it has to be motion blur, but at 1/3200? I have never shot these guys so I am not sure of their speed. Nice open beak as well!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Something is off in this.... nice incoming pose but the legs are not sharp and the eye is not either.. techs look good, I thought the A1 was flawless.....
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lot of confusion here.

First of all this is not SoCal.

Second the eye and head are definitely sharp from here, not that many people have seen a kite close up, but that's how it looks like. Northern CA is an exceptional place where you can get close to a wild WTK without a blind

Third, , it is totally possible to get the head sharp but the feet showing motion blur when a raptor lands. I have any frames like this. has nothing to do with the camera. The reason is that the photographer is panning in the direction of the flight but the feet are extending backward (just like a plane's landing gear) in the opposite direction of panning... this makes the shutter speed required to get them sharp quite a bit faster than one that's required to get the rest of the bird sharp. mid flight this isn't an issue but at landing it could be a problem.

fourth, the main issue with this image IMO is the contrasty light which caused some blown highlights and blocked blacks, otherwise it was a great encounter

TFS Joel!
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 07-22-2021 at 10:05 PM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, sometime it's hard to say why some details are not as you'd like. I guess Arash has given as much explanation as possible. I did find it odd that the back wing (esp. it's top edge) is quite sharp and coming all the way back towards me the left wing is also sharp...and, the tail feathers look sharp... but the feet are not so much (I do think the head/eyes are about right focus-wise). Looking at the tops of the trees it does see the focus was more toward the backside as the back tree tops are in focus and the front are completely out. At any rate, but for a slight painterly look I liked the call and wings so thought to share. Thanks for the feedback all. Hopefully better shots coming in the near future (though the time of season is not helping much! :(...

Cheers - Joel (Jay)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jay,

Great incoming shot, lovely colors, the brown and green contrast is very appealing, the eye and legs are soft however which does distract. Still a great pic, well done keep them coming mate