Thread: Hoot

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hoot

Barred Owl from a local park.

I have the 1.4x attached to my 100-400 on this shot because the owl was initially far but then it decided to fly nearer because it probably wanted me to do justice to its photo. The breast feathers are a little ruffled because it just came out of its nest hole. Not the cleanest background but I kind of like how it shows the bird in its natural surrounding.

Shooting Info: EOS 7D II + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II + EF 1.4x III, @390mm, f/10, 1/250 sec, ISO 1600
    Name:  Barred_Owl.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  523.1 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Eric:

I like the subject, ruffled feathers and all. Soft light allows nice detail on the bird. Shooting angle not bad at all, helped by longer focal length. I might try to tease a bit more details out of the shadowed left eye, some local adjustment.

Yes, busy perch. The worse offender is the large dead snag just off the right side of the bird. Partly because of the high contrast against the background.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks Eric Patdu thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Eric,

Great capture, I love owls such animated birds. Lots of nice detail on the bird itself, but not enough light on the right eye, the BG is also quite bright and therefore distracting. Still a great bird to get a shot of well done

5. Thanks Eric Patdu thanked for this post