Thread: Birding companion...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Birding companion...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R6 RF 100-500 RF 1.4xtc @700 f10 1/800 ISO 10000 HH, Manual EXP, crop for composition

During my nightly biking and birding was lying at the edge of the water stalking a Great Blue Heron when I looked up and saw this beauty staring quizzically.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi David, great to see you venture across to here, well done and a cool image too, a lovely encounter.

Nicely framed with the subject position close to the RHS with negative space to the left, it simply works, with a nice curious look/gaze towards camera.

Sadly with that lens and extender it bumps up the f-stop/ISO, but at f/10 you do have some nice bokeh and some good detail in the FG, and so..., to the image....

Overall the colours are off, too much blue and to a degree a little dark, however... Now the light might be reflective, but this is where you choose reflective, or just open it up a bit in exposure???? To me the colour is affecting the white in the chest, so opening up the image and addressing the cast does bring more life to the image, however again we all see things differently. It is sharp, but the RP is too over sharp, I left a setting on when exported from LR, but you could go a smidgen more based on the OP.

BTW what case did you use?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Professor Steve, get your points but think the answer on sharpness and warming is in between the two versions. I did add some warmth but this beauty was in the late afternoon shade. Funny, I was overly conscious of getting the fur soft and it could use a small boost there. In fact, I didn't use my regular resize app because it just added too much sharpness even before conversion to JPG for my taste. The AF setup was face detect/animal./eye detect. The AF case is is 2 sensitivity all the way to-, Accel/decel all the way +. The focus point literally squared the subject's left eye in this frame. To your point, this is a slow zoom lens with TC (even slower) at high ISO (necessity), but these new mirrorless bodies handle both high ISO and can AF down to f22. Funny you should mention it, been saving my pennies to pull the trigger on a big gun this year but was disappointed the RF 400 2.8 and 600 F4 were not redesigned optically with shorter flange distance in mind. So, till that happens I'm gonna try to get better within these limitations. Folks like you are a big help in that dept...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In fact, I didn't use my regular resize app because it just added too much sharpness even before conversion to JPG for my taste.
    Hi David, you need to get to grips with PS, it's the best software out and ideal for Exporting for web and ultimately sharpening, Apps are OK, but never great and rarely do they deliver and are beaten hands down by PS.

Case 2 is -1 and zero, -2 and +2 is like having the bears on with the foot to the floor on the accelerator, just keep it to the the default setting.

Changing lens, just watch the weight and HH...

Folks like you are a big help in that dept...
    Thanks david, just trying to be helpful and build on the capture, as the potential is very often there, it just needs the odd nudge here or there.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, you need to get to grips with PS, it's the best software out and ideal for Exporting for web and ultimately sharpening, Apps are OK, but never great and rarely do they deliver and are beaten hands down by PS.

Case 2 is -1 and zero, -2 and +2 is like having the bears on with the foot to the floor on the accelerator, just keep it to the the default setting.

Changing lens, just watch the weight and HH...

Thanks david, just trying to be helpful and build on the capture, as the potential is very often there, it just needs the odd nudge here or there.
    When you're right you're right and Thanks again..,

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear David,

Beautiful pose from the subject and the direct stare makes the image for me. Frame appears a tad underexposed. I agree with Steve regarding blue cast, easy to remove if you like.

Love Steve's warmer version and colours overall, as well as enhancement of detail.

Wonderful sighting, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post