Thread: Juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken 7-15-2021 Canon EOS R5, Sigma 15-600mm sport lens, 1/320, f/6.3, ISO1250, 600mm.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Vickie and welcome! This little tike is cute. Looks like he's been indulging in some lunch :-)

The bkg is sure pretty with the green and blueish mottling. Subject looks nice and sharp, well done at 1/320!

Very interesting texture on the perch, it adds to the frame. I see why you chose this composition so as to frame the limb extending down from lower right corner, but I could use a little less right and more for the subject to look into if you are able to. However, you would also end up with the limb further out of the focus plane so it's a give and take. Also, perhaps a cloning mark there in the lower right - blurry smudge?

AFA noise, do you use a produce like Topaz? Interesting how some parts of the plumage appear very smoothed and then parts such as the plumage on the cheek appear more sharp and visibly patterned.

Look forward to more....

3. Thanks Vicki Mitchell thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Vicki:

Welcome to BPN!

Brian has done a very nice summary review of your image.

I find the 1200 pixels vertically, or 1600 horizontally displays well, without having to do too much scrolling. On my 5K iMac, I needed to scroll vertically to see the entire image as posted.

I agree with Brian's comments on framing. I would probably trip 5-10% off the top if you were to crop it as suggested. Personal taste really.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

5. Thanks Vicki Mitchell thanked for this post
    BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian, are you referring to the area at the far right where the branch meets the background? If so, thanks for pointing that out, you are right, that is a cloning mark I did not notice. I frequently add peanut butter or spreadable suet to the top of the perch to get more birds posing up there, and then I have to remove it in post, especially if the bird is not actually shown eating it in the image. I guess I missed that spot, LOL! Oh, and I do use Topaz Denoise, I did sharpen those feathers a bit on the cheek, and I probably did it a bit too much. Good thing I always save my raw files, sometimes I will look at an image later, and say, "Arrrgh! What was I thinking?" Then I can always go back and start from scratch. It always helps to have fresh eyes looking at it!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Vicki, a nice opening image with good detail and the WB looks spot on, perhaps a tweak to the right on the Tint slider ie adding a tad of magenta, but overall good colour. Yes, it is over sharp on the cheek, but hey.

With regard to Workflow and files, after doing the Global adjustments within the raw converter, then exporting to PSCC for further refinements, you should save the file with all it's layers (as a PSD), this is your Master file. By retaining your master file in tact, it eliminates going back and starting from scratch, as this is the file you crop/sharpen and Save As for all further outputs.

If you do use Topaz, its always best on the raw and never on a Baked Tiff, but sha[ening should ALWAYS be applied once you crop, ie sharpening at the final output size ie 1600pxs.

Re the R5, was this HH or on a 'supported' as low SS can result in pixel blur because you have a 45mpx capture, so the R5 often needs more SS than lesser cameras like the R6.

A nicer perch would certainly boost the image and a little off the top and a fraction more below, ie move the whole content up in frame if you can.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve! I used a tripod with a gimbal head. Thanks for the feedback.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi I redid some things, I think this version looks better. Especially that dreadful cheek sharpening!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is an improvement. I do like the pose.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

welcome to BPN Vickie, what a nice post. I like the pose and the HA, sharp in the head and a nice BG. It does not look over sharpened to me, it's just right. the BG in the repost is nice and clean. colors could go a bit warmer. the only issue with this image IMO is the perch it's a bit big for the bird and it's not particularly pretty IMO. If this is a setup next time try a nicer perch, I am sure you can find one :)

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Vicki

Fantastic opening shot, well done, BG is great, picture is sharp and well exposed, cant wait to see more of your work