Thread: Gray Catbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gray Catbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Another of my common birds. I had just received my new 500PF that morning, and took some trial shots in the backyard to test it out before heading to Iceland several days later. I'm sure some eagle eye will see some dreaded green posterization in the BG.

D500, 500 PF + 1.4 TC, ISO 1250, 1/2500s @ f/8 manual

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, a nice specimen with good techs, great to see some SS that will nail the shot.

OK, yes there is some posterisation, did you push the greens in upping any saturation? No idea on the colouring of the species, but to me it appears more of a Blue/Grey rather than a nice straight forward grey. Overall you could slightly lighten the overall image, but mask the perch and I do like the lichen.

Regarding the subject, I like the side profile, but wonder, have you applied Clarity and or Dehaze, as to me backing the amount off along with some sharpening I feel would help, to me it just looks a little over sharp and applying Contrast, Clarity & Dehaze will amplify your sharpening, just a thought. However if you are using Topaz DN and applied it on the tiff not the raw, then this too will impact on the image.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colour looks good for this species. Nice perch and lichen on it. I do not see any "dreaded posterization" on the greens, but I do see a "dreaded clone mark" or something in extreme lower right corner. Light a bit stronger than ideal, but still not bad...just a few shadows underneath the perch, tail, and undertail coverts. I like the curious posture of the catbird and slight look-back head angle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, the pose makes this one for me. One of the sharper files from you I believe in some time so great job on that front!

Light was high and you handled it ok.

Green bkg looks fantastic IMO, I can't see any weird artifacts. However, in addition to the bit in the LRC I also see a remnant from the perch nub that remained on the underside, just below the bird's chest.

A neat frame amigo!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose, perch and details in this one. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

all is great and lovely save for the light that was getting a bit harsh, you did the best you could

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice job handling the light. Seen alot of these this year. Or I should say heard alot of these this year.