Thread: Full tilt...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Full tilt...

Attached Images Attached Images

A shot I have always wanted to get, the humble hare bounding towards camera at full tilt.

OK, having zero opportunities it's hard to nail the actual techs, and yes, since taking the shot, both in camera setting have changed and eye detection set-up. Now was Eye detection the right choice, well I based it on that there was more options for the camera to latch on to with more 'conventional' options for tracking, but if there was more clearance then perhaps a more basic AF setting may have been the correct choice???? Room for improvement certainly, it's just getting the opportunities, but remember, the closer the hare gets, both you, the camera and lens has to work harder!!!

The ultra low hide again, just proved the right choice. Note the rear legs in the forward position.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: European brown hare (Lepus europaeus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT (Pod and Flexline pro ball head)
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO2500
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from top
    Processed via: LRCC 9.4 & PSCC2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haaaaa, it's awesome, Steve you nailed it Love that pose...the focus there, the determination! Superb POV and BG is great. I am absolutely loving this. Did he land on your lap?

Great techs, nice SS. Are you happy with the result at F8? Would like to chat sometime about those settings, when it comes to 'moving targets'. Wondering about the 'eye detection' and I have some Grasshopper questions...

Speak soon, and thank you so much for sharing this tonight, I really enjoyed viewing. Thinking maybe you should send a link to Stu Phillpot, he'll love it too

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela.

Are you happy with the result at F8?
    It's I think just on the cusp, could have perhaps gone to f/10, but I was hoping ED may have been the better choice and just to try it on a moving subject, however tweaking the set up again probably would have worked better, but it's hard to lock on with this one as he bounds up & down, plus the choice of 'Case' should have been better too. As Jon would say 'Work in progress'.

Just had a reply back from Grant, will email.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

4. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Steve, I really like the head on approach and the way the rows of green make a frame around the rabbit. Maybe f10 would have been better, but as you said, its work in progress:) A, I almost forgot, the raised front left paw and the back ones just convey the sense of movement so nicely. Rabbits are a ton of fun when they are cooperative, once a guy came so close to me that I was just unable to frame him and then he ran circles around me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, nice to see you back.

Rabbits & Hares are fun, daft as a brush and often very unpredictable, you can either get very close, or they just dart off at 50m. This is a Hare, bigger than a Rabbit, but know what you mean about running rings around you.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve I would be more than happy with this shot. The DOF looks perfectly adequate to me, as a viewer I go straight to the head and the face, the eyes are sharp, I go to the ears which are almost entirely sharp, my eyes go down I note his whiskers and then his feet positions which are clearly moving fast, The background and foreground look super, I think you are overanalysing, the image looks great, I don't see any real need for improvement.
    Eye detection or not - I don't know how efficient it is on your camera but if a single point slap bang between the eyes was used I am sure that would have been fine at f8.
    Just a thought does eye detection work on one eye or two simultaneously, i.e would it in this instance be giving the camera a lot to think about switching from one eye to the other??? Clearly it has to decide on one focal point - which one left or right..... or simply go for your choice a single spot right between the two eyes, is it likely you could nail it with one spot - maybe two adjacent spots.... decisions decisions!! I just would not worry because every encounter is different and in retrospect if your choice was incorrect you would always say I could have done something different..... and that's why it is such addictive fun. (well it's fun for me anyway)