Thread: Food Fight!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Food Fight!

Attached Images Attached Images

Laughing Gulls mobbing Royal Tern to steal fish meant for chick

This image was created on 30 June 2021 on a beach near Jacksonville, FL. I used Induro GIT 304L/Levered-Clamp FlexShooter Pro-mountedSony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lens and The One, the Sony Alpha 1 Mirrorless digital camera. ISO 640. Exposure determined via Zebras with ISO on the rear dial: 1/3200 sec. at f/5 (stopped down 2/3 stop) in Manual mode. AWB at 7:16am on a sunny morning with a bit of haze in the eastern sky. Wide/AF-C was active at the moment of exposure and performed perfectly.

See two more image from the amazing JAX colony in the Tips, Tips, & More Tips: Chick-Feeding, Flight/Fight, and When the Light is Bright ... blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome.

From the same post:

The #1 Flight/Fight Tip

Photographing midair avian battles is extremely difficult. There is never any indication that a fight is about to start, and the action is usually over in a few seconds at most. Getting a good look at all of the faces of the combatants is nearly impossible. And the more birds involved in the squabble, the less chance you have of getting decent — much less excellent, head angles. On sunny days, most of the fights you see are likely to be well off sun angle.

My very best advice is that you do not hesitate: get on the action as soon as is humanly possible, trust your camera’s AF system by assuming and anticipating that it will acquire focus, and then hold the shutter button down. If you follow that advice, and you get lucky, you just might come up with a few decent frames. I got really lucky here as six images from a 12-frame sequence were decent. The frame after this one was slightly stronger but the face and bill of the gull at the top of the frame is blocked by the tern’s right wing. Not surprisingly, all twelve frames were made in less than a single second. As I said, you must not hesitate.

As noted in the SONY Alpha a1 Set-up and Info group e-mails, when you are in Wide with Bird Eye and Face Tracking enabled, the Alpha 1’s AF system will revert to a zone-like AF and use multiple AF points to achieve success when it is impossible to detect an eye or a face. In any case, all of the images in the sequence were sharp where they needed to be sharp. Though I was stopped down 2/3-stop, it was primarily the distance to the subject that rendered all of the birds relatively sharp.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dream shot, it doesn't get better than that, wow just spectacular in every way. Congrats Arthur

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, a lot of sharp birds,., Nice work..
    Dan Kearl

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is so cool Artie. The past couple posts have been awesome in terms of multiple sharp subjects fighting for food!

To get so many subjects in the same frame and focal plane, especially at f5 is awesome. Like your choice of composition leaving in some of the ground for perspective.

Hard to nit anything here but there are some really pronounced halos along the dark wing edges, for instance, the upper arc of the wing on the left most subject where it is maybe most prominent.

Otherwise, just a pleasure to view thank you!

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

wow this is over the top, love everything. contest material, no nits from here except for tiny bit of halo, I think feathering the sharpening mask will fix it

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Artie, getting that group together and all with good head angles in sweet light, masterful

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie this is fantastic! Such impact, one of the most memorable images I have seen for quite some time - congratulations.

13. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another sublime food fight image... An amazing canvas... TFS

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fab frame Artie...I like everything about it....There is so much to look at and everything in focus....

Congrats and TFS, I could look at this for a while...

Very well done getting this.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see multiple birds all in the same focal plane. The interaction puts it at the top.

Glenn

Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW! Pretty amazing to get 4 birds all in the same focal plane and tack sharp.
    I am impressed!
    I like the crop and how you left a bit of sand/grass at the bottom of the frame. Anchors everything nicely.

Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As everyone has said, this is so very sweet. Like your "Beat Down" shot best of all but this one is not short for action itself. TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it.