Thread: Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello friends,

Hope you are all enjoying the week-end. I would like to share an image of a Wild Dog today and for those of you interested some bits of information about the species.

Wild dogs form packs of ten to twenty-five members where only the Alpha male and female breed. They are unique among other mammals in that the young females within the pack eventually migrate to join other packs while the male offspring usually remain with the natal pack. All members cooperate to raise the young and there is very little aggression within the family.
    Researchers say that when hunting Wild Dogs can reach speeds of up to 60 km/h, after which they slow down but continue to chase for an average of 2 km. This kind of 'stamina' outlasts that of many species of prey and so it makes them very successful hunters.
    After a successful chase the dogs regurgitate some of the meat ingested for the pups at the den, but also for the adults who stayed behind. Unlike hyenas - which have amazingly strong digestive juices that start digestion almost immediately - the wild dogs are not physically able to carry food for long distances. Instead they evolved a stomach in which they are able to store food/meat from a kill temporarily. In fact they are able to travel long distances back to the den and still regurgitate, provided they do not lie down to rest - in which case their metabolism slows down and digestive process begins immediately (this makes regurgitation impossible).

Weight: approx 22 kg for females and up to 32 kg for males
    Gestation: approx 2 1/2 months
    Life span: approx 10 years
    Litter size: seven to ten usually, up to nineteen pups
    Habitat: open areas and plains in woodlands
    Food: only fresh meat, mostly antelope

This image was captured in the Kruger Park on the 12th of May. My companion and I witnessed some amazing interactions between the pack members and were able to follow them for a while while hunting. Wild Dogs are not easy to photograph because their movement patterns are quite erratic and unpredictable. They can be vocal and playful and show great excitement when preparing to go on a hunt.
    I find them so beautiful and amazing. Unfortunately I do not have an image that gives them justice, nevertheless I will share what I managed to capture and hope for more opportunities in September this year.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 2500
    F 7.1
    0EV
    1/800s

Processed in LR and PSCC. Thank you so much for viewing, I appreciate it. As well as comments of any nature.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... very nice to see you posting and commenting again
    It is veeeery slooooow in here ....

Cool side profile of the WD and like that you managed to avoid any other WD in the frame .... lovely overall warm colors and the somewhat soft light helped with the contrast .
    Tones and colors looking good to me ... overall as presented .
    Personally I might boost some areas here and there for more tonal variation , personal taste . I do like the fine sharp details you have rendered .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

Sincerely hope you guys forgive me for my absence. Kept trying to come back on BPN but at work it has been hectic for the past few months and I was also busy relocating. Things are getting better though and I am beginning to settle into my new home.

I realise it is a bit quiet in the Forum but this is understandable, with all the travel restrictions not many members are able to go out there and photograph wildlife. One gets tired of 'digging through old files' and eventually runs out of images. My situation is rather different, I do see wildlife but do not always have the time to stop and take photographs.

Reading your reply I am smiling, because it does look like there isn't another WD in the image. But I think the grey blob behind the WD's muzzle ( that patch stretching to the left of the frame) is a WD lying down... luckily he is quite far so OOF. These chaps lie together, and sometimes pile up like little puppies do.

And indeed you are right, there is place for more tonal variation... I only thought about it after seeing the image posted. Will look into it Andreas, thank you. And process some more images so we can 'liven up' things around here a bit.

Many thanks for viewing and kind comments, much appreciated. Have a lovely evening

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 07-04-2021 at 12:50 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, great to see you posting and as always, a good in-depth story to accompany the image, with some interesting facts for those who may not have encountered this species.

Ironic, both Peter & Grant have images in the forth coming book launch, so one of them now knows why I say what I say re images as he's checking the sheets on press.

Nice space around the subject, but on the MBP so can't really tell on the finer aspects. Techs look good, and nice to see you dusting down the D5, but don't think of changing, Nikon are so behind as we have discussed.

Lets see more...

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Steve, and a very good evening to you too

This image is certainly not my best and I admit I found it quite difficult to capture WD images, used to species that are more predictable and easier to 'isolate' in the viewfinder

Re. book launch, I am so happy for both Peter and Grant! Would love a copy of the book. Never actually met Grant but we have been in touch every now and then, he is such a nice fellow. Peter is a sweet, met him when you both came to SA.

D5, I still have it, as well as the D4 and D850 and D810. Not planning to change soon.

And yes you'll get to see more. Pleased to tell you we are off to Kruger Park again in two months' time Virus situation permitting, of course.

Speak soon

Warmest regards
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Re. book launch, I am so happy for both Peter and Grant! Would love a copy of the book. Never actually met Grant but we have been in touch every now and then, he is such a nice fellow. Peter is a sweet, met him when you both came to SA.
    Peter and I go back a long way and enjoy shooting together, his daughter just got married. Not sure how I can get a copy to you, the three of us are talking constantly about certain stuff, but guess Peter is my best bet, if so I will get him to sign it, but I will also speak to Grant.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Peter and I go back a long way and enjoy shooting together, his daughter just got married. Not sure how I can get a copy to you, the three of us are talking constantly about certain stuff, but guess Peter is my best bet, if so I will get him to sign it, but I will also speak to Grant.

It would be really cool, thank you Steve. I will be happy if we can get a copy and you keep it for me, then bring it when you come visit
    Last I had comms with Peter was April 2020 Have not spoken to Grant in a very long time.
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely processing, I like the tones and details as presented, I may have been tempted to address the dark area on the left to make it a little less apparent.

Glad to see you are back - looking forward to seeing more!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Jon

Re. dark area, you mean the hip of the WD? I can certainly work on that, it just never occurred to me that it's a little bothersome

Glad to be back, been doing some PP work but after such a long break I feel like I am starting from the beginning...Will post some more... and happy with any feedback

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea