Thread: Sunset Darter wings down (Artie's challenge)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sunset Darter wings down (Artie's challenge)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all. I decided to post my favourite frame from my recent Australasian Darter sunset shoot. This is the one that frustrates me due to the clipped wing. I'm hoping that it is still worth posting, but though that someone (Artie??) might decide to "add the wing tips" as a challenge? I have Artie's wing tip repair video, but don't think it would help in this instance. Late thought: maybe a more severe crop would work? Thoughts?

D500/500PF, 1/3200th sec@f5.6, iso 1100, manual mode HH.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul .... a shame about the wing tips , but that's life and happens .

All else does look good to me ... just watch the red channel , think it is blown in the HL . Can be repaired ( normally ) by throwing the green and blue channel into the red with channel blending ( multiply ) .

Regarding the wing tips ...well a lot can be done , but is it worth the effort .... ending with a fake image content

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet, sweet light. Beautiful details and pose. Wing tip or not, I love it... TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas: Not sure about the red channel HL...that's how it looked to me at the time I took the photo...but will check it out anyway.
    David: Really appreciate the kind feedback. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Paul .... i am very sure about the red channel , even before I took the image into PS !!!!!For your personal proof .... see the attachments .As indicated by the histogram and the red channel ..... absolutely NO detail in the light parts . Pure white in the circled areas !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas: I opened the file in Photoshop and checked the histogram, and it doesn't show a spike on the red channel. However...when I convert the file from Adobe RGB ro srgb to post to this forum the red channel then shows the spike. On my monitor the Adobe rgb photo looks good although I can see the slightly blown section you refer to in your diagram. So...converting the colour space to srgb for the web influences the channel luminosity?
    It could also be my monitor, which doesn't have 100% Adobe RGB coverage...so the srgb may be more correct in terms of actual colours.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 06-19-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul ... are you updating the histogram in PS ???
    It does not automatically update itself .... you need to click on the circle in the right corner of the histogram panel . After each edit you make you need to update the histogram .... if you want to be safe .

Regardless of the used screen the histogram does show the tones how they are in the image .

I am never having issues with blowing channels when i do convert from " ProPhoto RGB " to sRGB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No histogram stuff for me :). The image is sharp but there are other problems aside from the clipped wing. (Note to you and to me: keep the bird in the middle of the frame! I am betting that you cropped from the top)

#1: the near wing is raised much too much. For the full downstroke pose you need both wings fully down.

#2: The bird's head is not only angled away from us, it is angled away from the centerline of its body.

Love you anyway!

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Much prefer the other darter frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas: Thank you for the histogram tip. Yes, I meant ProPhoto RGB.
    Artie: Yes to the crop...aiming for 16x9 style. Bird in frame positon, wing/head position errors noted for "next time".
    John: Interesting. If the wing wasn't clipped I'd prefer this one overall.