Thread: Downsampling for Web from High Resolution Files

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Downsampling for Web from High Resolution Files

Over on avian I had mentioned in a thread of mine that as I’ve been using the R5 more and more over the past year or so, I’ve grown increasingly frustrated with the sharpness of downsampled files for web. Until the R5, all the bodies I’ve used were lower resolution, high-speed bodies like the 1DX Mark II and a9 and I’m wondering if maybe the workflow I used when downsampling files from those cameras needs to be adjusted when working with the higher resolution files.

My workflow generally has been:

1. Make adjustments in ACR without applying any noise reduction or sharpening
    2. Open in PS, duplicate the base layer and open that layer in Denoise
    3. Convert the Denoise’d layer to a smart object to selectively apply filters based on what I’m exporting for (print, Instagram, etc)
    4. Run two passes of Unsharp Mask set to 70 for sharpening and 1-1.2 for radius on the layer to over-sharpen and retain detail when downsampling for web
    5. Export for Web, setting quality to 76% and the dimensions as applicable for whatever my target is (1080px wide for Instagram, 1920px wide for here etc)

This workflow has always worked very well in the past but it seems that when I’m exporting files that are barely cropped from 45MP, the amount of downsampling necessary to get to the target resolution is just too great and the files end up looking softer than downsampling from a lower resolution file. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I’m in the process of switching to Sony and picked up an a9 ii for a good price recently with the intention of just using that as my main body. I’ll be hanging on to my R5 and 600L II for a while though still because it seems like 600 GM’s are virtually impossible to find at the moment and I’m too spoiled by my 600L to just use my 200-600 as my primary lens lol

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Anthony, good question. I see many great images with the R5 online, so there must be a good resizing workflow somewhere. Someone will surely chime in....and I will be interested as I still use the "lowly" 7DII with only 18MP, so whenever I upgrade to mirrorless I will surely run into some issues like this as well. I assume your web files are flattened (when using layers) and saved as jpegs.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, I always use the Export for Web option in PS and export the files as resized JPEG’s at 76% quality (I’ve read in a few different articles that 76% is a sweet spot between file size and IQ, it’s generally worked pretty well on Instagram).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tony
    you might consider running NR on the BG. The noise in the BG can really increase the file size. Some images made with the high res cameras such as my own A1 just cannot be compressed to 600KB so I host these externally on my own site. Noting you can do about it...
    the BPN infrastructure is a bit old and obsolete so it does not allow for modernization regarding posting size.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Ari, it’s not the file size that I’m having trouble with it’s just that the actual image quality once it’s resized for web from a high resolution file seems more degraded than when I downsample from a lower resolution file. I’ve never really had an issue with file size, saving at 76% and resizing to 1920px wide almost always gets me under 500KB and if it doesn’t I usually will run it through a compressor like Google’s Squoosh.

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Hi Tony
    you might consider running NR on the BG. The noise in the BG can really increase the file size. Some images made with the high res cameras such as my own A1 just cannot be compressed to 600KB so I host these externally on my own site. Noting you can do about it...
    the BPN infrastructure is a bit old and obsolete so it does not allow for modernization regarding posting size.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

76% compression is too much for an image that has lots of details. Won’t look good
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    New Harbour, Newfoundland And Labrador, Canada
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I shoot an A1 and had similar issues, I was saving from PS back to Lightroom and exporting out of Lightroom for web. But I began using Greg Benz's Wb Sharp Pro and have been pleased. Gives the ability to set up a template of individually tweak, and you can do multiple aspect rations depending on the final destination ie Facebook, Instagram etc. I have the 200-600 and the 600 f4 and I find it a constant struggle, the versatility of the zoom versus the reach and back ground of the 600. With the exception of the reach with converter, I have been more disappointed with being caught with 600 on camera needing to zoom to open up than Ive been not having the 600! Than said the 600 just wows! I find Ill take the 200-600 and go, but Id never take the 600 and leave the 200-600 home.