Thread: 1200mm Ground Level Laughing Gull Yawning

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 1200mm Ground Level Laughing Gull Yawning

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was also created on 10 May 2021 at the my favorite afternoon spot at Fort DeSoto. While seated and working off the tilted rear screen, I used the Panning Ground-Pod mounted-Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lens, the Sony FE 2.0x Teleconverter, and The One, the Sony Alpha 1 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only). ISO 800. The exposure was determined by Zebras with ISO on the rear wheel: 1/1000 sec. at f/8 (wide open) in Manual mode. RawDigger showed this exposure to be dead-solid perfect. AWB at 7:12pm on a sunny afternoon. Wide/AF-C was active at the moment of exposure and performed perfectly. Wide/AF-C was active at the moment of exposure and performed perfectly by grabbing and tracking.

To learn more about working at ground level and the creation of this (and another) image, check out the How Low Can You Go? Panning Ground Pod Techniques. And Getting Sand and Mud on Your Camera Body. Part II blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As a big fan of ultra low frames, this works nicely for me - added interest with the expression and the foot positioning - all good here

Mike

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pic and capture, someone is getting an earful for sure

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well you can't beat that pose. Nice low angle. The raised foot is nice. Neat to see the inside of the mouth.

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, killer behavior. Down the throat view is great and love the popping orange in the otherwise neutral canvas.

Whites are right on the brink at low 250's so you might see if there's any chance to retrieve some additional detail without greying. Second thought, I would bet money you did so already.

I might be an outlier here, but did it perhaps grab the beak tip? Eyes are just in focus enough from my view but close. Otherwise, you did great to get to f8 for sure but only wish we had a little more focus on the body and feet as they take up most of the canvas. Perhaps in portrait form it would really be killer.

Thanks as always my friend!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a nice low angle view but the lack of a sharp eye holds this back for me...
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    I might be an outlier here, but did it perhaps grab the beak tip? Eyes are just in focus enough from my view but close. Otherwise, you did great to get to f8 for sure but only wish we had a little more focus on the body and feet as they take up most of the canvas. Perhaps in portrait form it would really be killer.

Thanks as always my friend!
    Good eyes. Actually halfway between the plane of the eyes and the plane of the bill tip. The eyes could use some selective sharpening. When you say "portrait form" do you mean as a vertical?

with thanks and love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Good eyes. Actually halfway between the plane of the eyes and the plane of the bill tip. The eyes could use some selective sharpening. When you say "portrait form" do you mean as a vertical?

with thanks and love, a

Artie, thanks for showing this. Agree with you on the eyes, would enhance the frame!

Wasn't necessarily suggesting going portrait/vertical with this one, however if you had a frame with this behavior where there was less OOF body it could be even sweeter perhaps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sump Scores,

YAW. So you were wanting one with the bird more square to the back of the camera? As per our phone conversation a while back, after 38 years I still do not know what a "portrait" is.

with love, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Sump Scores,

YAW. So you were wanting one with the bird more square to the back of the camera? As per our phone conversation a while back, after 38 years I still do not know what a "portrait" is.

with love, a
    Ha, sorry. No, I meant just head and shoulder. That would eliminate a good portion of OOF body and feet.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice and interesting image. I like the raised foot and open bill.

Low angle is always awesome

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie ... nice shot .
    Good overall tone and color and the open beak is cool .
    I am just missing the foot .... so it does work not ideal for me , albeit I do love the super low angles .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, well timed for the open beak and raised foot. I really like the soft light and overall IQ. The head turn with full eye contact takes this up a few notches.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Raised foot, open bill, and tilted head all combine to make one heck of a fun image here! The blues in the BG are rather appealing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

all been said, great frame

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog