Thread: Redemption

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Redemption

Name:  20210610-Blue-Grosbeak-Mountain-Mahogany-Brian-Sump-BSR59335-7056px-d79-L26-moremids-touch-v2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  591.0 KB

Felt a little embarrassed posting a "bird on a stick" last time around. Glad to this forum for holding me accountable, my standards are higher.

Played audio earlier Thursday morning and got several shots of a Blue Grosbeak Pair on Mullein stalks. Then a while later while playing for Lazuli Buntings, this handsome fella landed off to my side.

Considering an all natural perch with no audio, I was pretty stoked to get this.

Canon R5
    840mm
    Handheld
    ISO 1000
    1/2000
    f8

LR and PS. Nothing cloned or added.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 06-11-2021 at 10:15 PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Backgrounds and perches are just as important as a great subject. Same for lighting it all has to come together. We know when we have it it just pops as I would say. Brian this fantastic love the perch so natural and the background is nice. Another superb image. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian ... this is even better than the precious posting .
    Works very well on all counts !!!
    Not a single nit from my side .... congrats , a real peach how Jon sometimes say .

Great work

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the detail, perch, comp, processing. No nits from me either…great job Brian!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, but I am equally fine with simple sticks.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Why on earth would you be "embarrassed" by your last post. It was so pretty.
    I love this image. Great perch and bird. Perfect lookback and just the right amount of separation between the 2 stems.
    Would love this in my files!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, lovely pose, and even lovelier colours on this fine bird. The detail is nice and sharp, and I do like the framing between the two sets of branches.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No redemption required on my part, just another lovely frame of an attractive subject

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking bird and pic, well done. Details on the branch are also awesome

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird on a very nice perch. The bird couldn't have picked a better spot to land and pose for you. Nice one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the other one better than this one which is nice but the perch is too busy...
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin Hice View Post
    Backgrounds and perches are just as important as a great subject. Same for lighting it all has to come together. We know when we have it it just pops as I would say. Brian this fantastic love the perch so natural and the background is nice. Another superb image. TFS
    Kevin, totally agree. It's great when it all comes together... so many 'almosts'. So glad you enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Brian ... this is even better than the precious posting .
    Works very well on all counts !!!
    Not a single nit from my side .... congrats , a real peach how Jon sometimes say .

Great work

TFS Andreas
    Andreas, I will relish in no nits!!! That's awesome man, thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Bowman View Post
    Love the detail, perch, comp, processing. No nits from me either…great job Brian!
    Kurt, same to you! Thanks my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Very nice, but I am equally fine with simple sticks.

with love, a
    Artie, thank you. Your words were an encouragement in the previous...

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Why on earth would you be "embarrassed" by your last post. It was so pretty.
    I love this image. Great perch and bird. Perfect lookback and just the right amount of separation between the 2 stems.
    Would love this in my files!
    Gail
    Gail, thank you so much. I guess just a personal thing; it's always felt like a bird on a dead stick was a cop out, or maybe that's just how I was impressed upon early.

Very glad to hear you find this one worthy of praise!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Bowie View Post
    Hi Brian, lovely pose, and even lovelier colours on this fine bird. The detail is nice and sharp, and I do like the framing between the two sets of branches.
    Stu, thanks very much for chiming in. Your comments are greatly valued!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    No redemption required on my part, just another lovely frame of an attractive subject

Mike
    Mike, really appreciate it man. Super glad to hear your positive feedback here!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Niz View Post
    Great looking bird and pic, well done. Details on the branch are also awesome
    Wayne, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Beautiful bird on a very nice perch. The bird couldn't have picked a better spot to land and pose for you. Nice one.
    John, agreed. He was a very gracious fella!

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    I like the other one better than this one which is nice but the perch is too busy...

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed, I have just seen your previous - I missed it, both excellent but I by far prefer this one, the previous appears too stark or clinical after seeing this one. Had I not seen this I would have said the other was great in terms of details tones and colours, the difference I think is that this one tells or hints of a story.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet. Great bird, background, and the perch is nice. I've been preferring "live" perches the past couple of years over "dead" ones (except for species that prefer those such as an Eastern Phoebe I may post in the coming weeks). Having said this, I went back to your previous image as I missed the last couple days, and I find it to be a very successful image too. Dead perches with character such as thorns or neat bark texture work very well - it's the bland ones that tune me out of late. All that to say: beautiful image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Very nice indeed, I have just seen your previous - I missed it, both excellent but I by far prefer this one, the previous appears too stark or clinical after seeing this one. Had I not seen this I would have said the other was great in terms of details tones and colours, the difference I think is that this one tells or hints of a story.
    Jon, really glad you like this one and appreciated the previous. Man it ain't easy getting all the pieces together but the reward is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Sweet. Great bird, background, and the perch is nice. I've been preferring "live" perches the past couple of years over "dead" ones (except for species that prefer those such as an Eastern Phoebe I may post in the coming weeks). Having said this, I went back to your previous image as I missed the last couple days, and I find it to be a very successful image too. Dead perches with character such as thorns or neat bark texture work very well - it's the bland ones that tune me out of late. All that to say: beautiful image!
    Very appreciable viewpoint Daniel. It feels like a little bit of a copout posting subjects on plain, dead perches but maybe it's just the early advice I received. There is someone out there working harder to get all the pieces of a killer frame. But your perspective makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insights and thoughts on both!
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 06-14-2021 at 10:53 PM.