Thread: AK - Little One Bugs Out

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default AK - Little One Bugs Out

Yesterday two of the three little guys ventured out. The bigger of the two caught his own bug and took it back to the box for ... his sibling? At any rate, I was very impressed with his quick adaptation to flight.

AI+600GM+TC1.4, Tripod and Gimbal
    1250, 4000, f10
    C1P to PS with DeNoiseAI
    Canvas Extension and wing tip repair from prior frame

TFL.

Name:  Young-with-meal-1c-bpn.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  597.7 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

After posting I see even though the PS legacy web output was at 100% quality the frame is a good deal less sharp than it is when viewed in PS itself. Suggestions?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay:

Nice pose, bug, display of alula, well exposed.

I will also occ. have a sharp image in PS that doesn't look nearly as sharp after resizing for web posting. I use TK7 for my output sharpening, which generally works well. I rarely push the opacity of the sharpening layer beyond 50%. Hopefully some of the photoshop gurus will chime in on this issue

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay and Randy ... not understanding your "issues" with the " missing sharpness " .
    I am not having any problems ... if the final TIF is sharp , the web image will have the same degree of sharpness .
    Would overthink my downsizing workflow ... if you are not satisfied with the output .

Just my 2 cents about this topic ...

@ Randy , there are numerous ways and methods for downsizing and I do really like Tony´s Panels , but one of the tools I never use is the downsizing action ... I do not like the output quality at all .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay .... what a crazy good shot !!!!
    The content is so nice with the talons facing forward and the insect in the beak .

From the color and tonal POV ... well leave this to the locals , they know better . Just surprised to see no blues .....maybe lost somewhere on the way .
    IMO ... a different comp might work better , less on LHS and more space to the RHS .... giving a better balance .
    The darker tones in the BG .... could go a bit less heavy , resulting in a slightly smoother BG

Regarding the sharpness , well here on my screen ... i think I could be better

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, the dorsal side of the wings are blue :)

I liked the first flight pose better. This is well done but you needed to pan faster as the bird is too far forward in the frame ... The result is that the brighter yellow BKGR on our left pulls the eye. A square or boxy crop would help there.

Is the bird nesting inn a box or a natural cavity?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also like the last pose better than this one, but I do like the talons in the up position as you have here, I agree with the nits already mentioned.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, well captured to have this action in your frame. I like the forward position of the legs and open talons. Open wings and prey add interest.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action, love the prey item being carried and looks pin sharp to me. BG is a touch distracting, I may go for a tighter crop if the IQ holds up ok, but the subject itself is fantastic

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture well done, lovely looking birds. When you say they returned to their box I take it that you have bred them and they are living in your garden? How did you manage to do this?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks good, the whites are a touch hot. and the image looks a touch yellow. for sharpening, just selectively sharpen the bird in PS using smart sharpen method. make sure the check "legacy" I use an amount of 100-150 radius 0.5 that should do the trick
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Getting your moneys worth here. The light is nice. Good view of the prey. I would crop some more from the left.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird could go sharper but this is pretty great....
    Dan Kearl

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will also occ. have a sharp image in PS that doesn't look nearly as sharp after resizing for web posting.
    Jay/Randy - just to throw a 'curved' ball into the equation, but when you crop prior to sharpening for output, is the monitor displaying the file at the actual size, ie on your screen is it say 1600px wide before sharpening?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.