Thread: Snowy Fishing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Fishing

Attached Images Attached Images

I have been laid up some lately because of my back, but am going through some older files trying to find images I missed. I decided to crop this from landscape to vertical to try to put the emphasis on the head with all the water action. Some might find it too tight, but I think it was the best option to show what I was going for.
    1DXM2
    600mm f/4
    1.4 TC
    1/6400 at f/8
    ISO 800

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kurt very nice, and the whites look perfect. What I like about this is the eye contact along with the water. As for the crop I think it could be opened up a bit and still have the impact. Your eye is drawn to the eye and splashing water. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt, nice image of a snowy fishing. Feather detail, background, splashing water all look good. On my display the whites appear slightly graying, maybe can be raised. As Kevin suggested I also think more room around the bird if you have it. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp. The WHITEs look pretty good but are greyed out in spots. It does need more room all around and I'd bet that is needs some CCW rotation. Good timing on the strike. It bugs me that the bird is angled away from us (subject to sensor plane orientation) and it bugs me that the eye is covered by the splash.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt, Artie has highlighted the key issues/main points, but for me, the whites should/could be a bit cleaner (slight cast) and I would suggest carrying the green all the way, up to remove the banding colour at the top. Subtle in parts I know, but you will also gain a fraction more detail in the whites.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kurt, so sorry to hear of your back aches my friend. It takes so much out of you when you're battling even basic movements. I pray you get back to action very soon....

AFA the post, so cool with the dollops coming up after the jab. I love the gradient in the background, adding in some tan and magenta.

Valid points by Joe and Artie on the whites and as Kevin mentioned, it would benefit from a touch more room if you had it. Maybe a touch of NR on the bkg would also enhance.

I think it was the nictitating membrane exposed, not the water over the eye?

Hope to see more from the archives!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt, excellent exposure and love the hint of the water reflection across the body. Well timed for the strike and the vertical splash adds interest.
    Hope your back feels better soon.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Kurt, love the water movement and whites looking great well done

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Timing couldn't be any more perfect. I would like to see this wider.