Thread: Loon splash down

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Loon splash down

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken a few days ago in northern Michigan. This male had been out for a brief flight and was circling around a small island to land with his family. The island effected his landing choices, and I was fortunate enough to hear the female hoot at him so I had a couple of seconds to grab my in flight rig and get lined up. Took about 20 frames, this was my favorite. Strong cross lighting will not appeal to some folks, but the Illumination of the splash and water works for me. There was a lot of pollen on the water, giving the speckled effect. Taken from my little loon boat.

In all the years I have been shooting loons, I have never had one land right at me like this.

D500. 500PF , f/6.3, 1/1250s, ISO 900

Post: Cleaned up some water debris and tweaked the exposure to try and show a bit more detail.

Advice and comments always appreciate.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you are going to have strong cross lighting then this would be the way to use it! I love the effect. The pollen-littered water blends well with the strong water spray behind the loon. Rather dynamic. From the thumbnail I thought this was a B/W conversion, but I see some subtle colours. Good frame Randy!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't know what I like more the pose or all that splashing water. Nice thinking on this one. The crop works.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Spectacular!! Super shot Randy, love the position of the feet and the eyes are clearly visible too, that's a belter!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this one too. Those spread legs and the spray are wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy a spectecular landing and image at the same time .
    Glad you got lucky ....
    All does work well for me , just wish the BG would be darker .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now that's a splashdown! That spray is great, and I think the lighting really works well here. My only issue is the lighter water at the top. The frame is good but would be incredibly dramatic without it. Such is life though.....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, kudos on you for posting something unique. The action, the monochrome effect and the dramatic lighting all do great things for me.

I do see the points on the bright strip at top, but it's sort of splitting heirs because the feet drag and water droplets take the show. This did well for you at f6.3, I'd have thought you had more dof.

Thanks for sharing!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Randala, t I like this one better only because the sunlit side of the loon's head is not as hot as in the other one. Both are excellent and creatively seen and skillfully executed.

with love, a

ps: Did any grandmas ever call you Randala?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.