Thread: Google's sale of NIK Collection to DxO throws major monkey wrench into my tool box

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Google's sale of NIK Collection to DxO throws major monkey wrench into my tool box

I purchased NIK software's plug-in tools for Photoshop years ago and they have been an important part of my CS6 workflow ever since (I'm no fan of Adobe's CC (Creative Cloud, aka Credit Card) junk, so I've stayed with my CS6 - the last stand-alone version of Photoshop). However Google snapped up NIK and left the software unchanged for years. Which was fine with me. However, Google has sold its NIK holdings to the French company, DxO. DxO has now cashed in by adding "improvements", then hijacking users' existing NIK software with a push upgrade. They've overwritten my old version of NIK without my permission and rendered it inoperable unless I pay them $99 for the unwanted "upgrade". Has anyone else here suffered this ransomware attack? Seems like a good case for a class-action suit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also use CS6, and I also have NIK (which I have not used in ages). I opened it up in CS6 and everything seems fine...perhaps only for now. I'll keep an eye out for such upgrades.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was going to post a thread about On1, but this is relevant. I have been a PS user since CS2 and was an original Nikon software fan (Capture NX from which I think Nik was created). In any case, for some reason I lost my CS6 disk and found no way to get my serial number so I have been using CC for a number of years with Nik. It has been pretty good for a while but this year, each release gets worse. There is a persistent problem which masks and selection stop working and I am often not able to do much until I quit and restart photoshop. Sometimes I have to delete and reinstall PS CC. I certainly don't like CC either. Is there anyone around that uses On1? The videos I have seen suggest they have the one thing that others don't have that PS has and I need, layers. Thoughts?
    Jon Saperia