Thread: Splashing Coot

Judd Patterson

Default Splashing Coot

This coot didn't mess around and was quite decisive when going in to snatch some food. Photographed at Viera last month in late evening light.

Canon 40D, 500mm f/4 and 1.4x TC
    ground level w/ beanbag
    1/1600, f/7.1, ISO 400
    Last edited by Judd Patterson; 01-09-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Fabs Forns

And you brought a lovely image to boot, Judd.

My pet peeve with splashes, and it may be just me, is the way the pick up the sharpening, looking sharper that the subject many time, because of the nature of the water. I would sharpen this on a layer and mask off the effect.

Did you get to see the Caras? HarryB caught one eating a Coot and flying towards him with the carcass :eek:

Taylor Yeager

Judd this is great! I like how the droplets extend out and show the energy of the moment.

~Taylor

Judd Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Fabs Forns View Post
    Did you get to see the Caras? HarryB caught one eating a Coot and flying towards him with the carcass :eek:
    I saw one backlit Caracara perched in a mess of sticks, but it wasn't what I was hoping for. I picked a terrible weekend of storms and wind to head north, but I salvaged a few images from the weekend. :)

Axel Hildebrandt

Great angle, light, action and setting. I might crop a tad off the top but I like it as is.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an awesome coot image Judd! The action and lovely BG makes this a real winner.

I cant wait to get my 40D :)