Thread: High 5 (or is that High 3)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default High 5 (or is that High 3)

Attached Images Attached Images

Spotted this White-faced heron on a branch and observed its behaviour for a while. Hope you like this one. A few distracting branches removed only. I thought about removing the foliage on the lower right but decided to keep it. I'm fine with the leaves on the perch. I can see a version without the wooden section on the bottom lower left. Thoughts?

D500/500PF, 1/800th sec@f5.5, iso800, manual mode, HH.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 06-02-2021 at 05:59 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, I really like the raised foot, the pose ion general and the detail in the bird. I agree with you about leaving the foliage on the right...mostly because cloning with that BG is pretty difficult to make it look natural. I can kind of see where you did a bit of closing now. but only if I look hard. My only little nit is I find myself wishing the foot was frozen. I know some like the small motion blur as it implies movement, but the pose itself already implies movement. Just my two cents.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt. Thanks so much for commenting. I can see where you're coming from in terms of the foot...guess I'm ok with it, but the next time I see this I'll aim for a faster shutter speed and a "frozen" foot. Cheers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an engaging shot with the curious head tilt and attractive white eye. Lovely exposure and detail across the bird; I even like the little bit of green foliage on the log, the one blocking the view
    to the leg. Sure faster shutter woulda helped. Also, what's going on with the lower left corner? There's weird line going from the top of the stump to the bird's leg. Could be something OOF
    but it looks a bit like a cloning artifact (even though I don't think you cloned anything there!)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian. Thanks so much for the feedback. You're quite correct about the weird line!...I just checked the raw file and realized that I cloned out a long spider web strand at that place...I should have left it or taken more care. Less is more I guess here. Thanks for your keen eye, I must admit I didn't notice it. Cheers.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Paul, I like the colours and tones, for me the blurred toe looks good.
    (Sorry to mention it but the first thing that caught my eye was the cloning.)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, always good to capture some behaviour from our subject. I like the feather detail, and the Heron pops nicely from the BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice title. I like the framing. The slightly blurred foot is nice. I don't mind the vegetation on the log.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Jonathan, Stu and John. Feedback much appreciated.
    Jonathan: You have a keen eye too cheers!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whenever I see a new species of heron or egret, I get juiced up! So thanks for this one. Lovely the angle and tilt of the head. And strangely, I wish that the foot in this one was sharp. My try first thought was that I wished that I were standing next to you with the 600 and the 2x!

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul looks good here ...
    Neat looking egret , good solid colors and the tonal range is ok . Might do add ... a bit of tone to the subject for more depth and 3D in the plumage . Working through a lumo mask will create more depth .... rather than global via brushing plain .

Personally I would try to work more precise with your cloning ( clone stamp and patch tool are not the greatest tools , IMO )

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie: Thanks you for the feedback. i would love to have you next to me...maybe before we all get to photograph the angels up high
    Andreas: I normally take care with my cloning, (see the re post I did of Dorian's recent photo). However, this time I didn't...so the result is not good. I'm always willing to learn, so what is your preference for cloning?

P.S. I'm going to fix that poor cloning area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul ... i prefer the HEALING BRUSH for the majority of cloning or better said repairing any flaws .

Or if I go crazy I do use the FREQUENCY SEPARATION technique .... for removing the detail and/or color separately

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lol: I actually used the healing brush to remove the thin spider web...but didn't do a good job this time! I'm aware of the FS technique too. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

.... well than i am more than surprised to see hard edges

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Me too! Just didn't take as much care as I should have!