Thread: Lioness answering calls of " her " male

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lioness answering calls of " her " male

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... early morning in Etosha and I found three lionesses hanging out at a waterhole . After a while the sounds of a roaring male appeared .... far from a distance .
    This lady got up and answered the males calls .
    Light was ... well flat .

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Beanbag

F 6,3 ; Iso 8000 ; 1/1600 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2021 ; slightly cropped for composition

Thais for watching and commenting to my previous thread

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An evocative image Andreas, I appreciate you mention flat light. It sounds like you had a minor dilemma here, i.e. enhance and make more pictorial, or keep primarily as it was. I feel a gentle vignette may help - yes I know you are not a fan of this approach but what do you think? The image is strong for me the lioness is the primary interest, the big fallen tree is not ideal but having said that it is not terribly dominant in the overall scene.......... just maybe a tad more saturation on the lioness would enhance her presence?? Just a couple of suggestions but quite honestly, I like it as presented.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice image Andreas, the framing is just right and the calling pose is cool. I don't mind the OOF fallen tree it kind of adds to the habitat. Good techs.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and Sanjeev for your comments , much appreciated .

Jon ... I already added a " vignette " from bottom to the middle part and from top to the middle of the image . Was even flatter .... when captured . To give the Lioness a bit more pop would work as a alternative ... but not via the color , just a bit more tonal oomph if you ask me .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, it's not really working for me and Jon has outlined the main issues, but it also needs more at the foot. IQ isn't quite there compared to previous postings, but I do like the off set position, the tree is a bit of a bummer IMHO. Overall it does need a bit more oomph and this is where you need to step away from 'this is how it was' to a more artistic approach to give the image a bit more sex appeal.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve .... if you have the time , give it more " sex appeal" . Would like to see your thinking .
    No need for more room at the foot , IMHO , as the lioness is " facing " upwards .
    The tree might be a bummer ... but that is nature .... could play tricks with D&B to make it less obvious .
    Disagree about IQ ... as even the fine hairs of the eye brows are visible and detailed .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve .... if you have the time , give it more " sex appeal" . Would like to see your thinking .
    Not back home for another 2.5 weeks and I want to rebuild the Mac Pro in August fingers crossed, 96MB Ram is just one item ready to drop in... hopefully then renamed 'The Phenix'!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Okidoki ....
    Are you on the latest Mac Pro ???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Are you on the latest Mac Pro ???
    If you are referring to the 'Cheese grater/Dalek' then no. Hopefully I can add the new components in for around £1k, juxtapose to near £9k.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes I referred to the " cheesy machine " ... surprised to see that you are investing in a " older " Mac Pro .
    I am waiting for the next generation ... to update , hopefully it is less overdriven than the " cheese grater " .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

With all the new stuff that will go in the main drive, no need too, it's like why have a 4k monitor for Social media, its over kill in my book.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You might be right .... I do see an issue in long term with the OS support on " older machines " , if I am right ???!!!
    And even later Adobe products might run only on " newer " machines .... if I am right ???!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK, we are now going down a track where we are going 'Off topic' however, just to conclude Andreas and just my take.

There are many good reasons when upgrading, wether it's because of new available software which makes life a lot easier and images benefit from, or kit that has come to the end of it's life and the hardware is right on point/time in which to do so where again, capturing images is far easier and the results are far greater than previous. However, I think there are times where folk jettison themselves into buying expensive kit when really there is no need too, when either a simple input of new cheaper items will update existing hardware to do the job, but ultimately ensuring it's - 'fit for purpose' and not overkill. I used the monitor example purely as an example, nothing more and I think you understood that.

FYI I jumped on trading in the 5DMK4 to the R5 for many reasons and took time out to test & try, nothing like checking if the good are right for you and the combination of 1DX3 & R5 is a nice blend, albeit there is far more Customisation that I had encountered, which tailors the kit to be more inline with the photographer, but certainly over that last few months I have refined things even more and far more than any other camera based on usage.

If you want to start a new thread on this theme of Updating/Upgrading please feel free.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are right .... going well off the " critique track " , anyhow as always ..... thanks for your thought sharing