Thread: Stonechat (f) (Saxicola rubicola)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stonechat (f) (Saxicola rubicola)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held image taken whilst out for a morning stroll.
    Olympus: E-M1X
    Focal Length : 600.0mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 1202.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 1600
    Exposure compensation : -0.7 EV
    Shutter : 1/2000 sec
    Aperture : F8

ACR/PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, for me one of the better recent posts you've made. The angle of light here creates the right kind of drama and I love that the face and chest are well lit.

Clean bkg, nice pose and the eye really pops here. Lots of detail too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto Sump scores. The extra bit of stem is bad luck. It could be removed ... The bird is too centered. Placing it on our left side of the frame would have created a stronger motif.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

FWIW. Call it a photo illustration if you wish.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... very nice overall !!
    Nicely processed and the light is gorgeous .
    Would agree with Artie about the slightly wider crop .... but would stay away from the so called " photo illustration " .

Cool shot !!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon .... very nice overall !!
    Nicely processed and the light is gorgeous .
    Would agree with Artie about the slightly wider crop .... but would stay away from the so called " photo illustration " .

Cool shot !!!

TFS Andreas
    So I take it that you like the stick blocking the leg? Do you ever do any closing at all? Do you ever add canvas?

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie .... i do not have " general rule or ethic " about that topic .
    For sure I do " clone " or blend things to make the image more " pleasing " to my eye .... even add canvas if needed , from my POV .
    But I have another sensitivity about these things like i.e. you .... I can live easier with things like the thing crossing the legs , like you could . Nothing wrong with your POV about this topic , I just see it different .
    For sure it does look better without the stick crossing that leg ....

But people who know the birds leg , being critical photographers with eagle eyes ..... will see the fake leg .... for sure the majority will not take notice of it .
    Another thing is .... images that has been reworked in terms of removal or adding things can never enter big competitions .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, good detail and I like the overall colour palette, the BKG colours work so nicely with the subjects plumage. If this was taken 'on the fly' whilst out for a stroll you may not have had the time to think about moving to the left to avoid the problamtic stick, so that leaves only to address things in PP. It certainly looks/appears better to the eye without the overlapping stem in pane 4, but it depends on your ethics. However, as you know, as soon as we import our images into our chosen raw converter we are automatically 'manipulating' the image.

You don't indicate Jon if this is FF or a crop, but for me it's just a tad too big in frame and there seems to be this trend to have subjects close to the bottom trim, which I find makes the whole thing appear to be slipping out of frame and out of balance, or is this part of the micro 2/3rds of Olympus format?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, good detail and I like the overall colour palette, the BKG colours work so nicely with the subjects plumage. If this was taken 'on the fly' whilst out for a stroll you may not have had the time to think about moving to the left to avoid the problamtic stick, so that leaves only to address things in PP. It certainly looks/appears better to the eye without the overlapping stem in pane 4, but it depends on your ethics. However, as you know, as soon as we import our images into our chosen raw converter we are automatically 'manipulating' the image.

You don't indicate Jon if this is FF or a crop, but for me it's just a tad too big in frame and there seems to be this trend to have subjects close to the bottom trim, which I find makes the whole thing appear to be slipping out of frame and out of balance, or is this part of the micro 2/3rds of Olympus format?

TFS
    Steve
    It was full frame Steve straight out of the can.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Then for me, you were too close and therefore crop options were zeroed sadly.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    What are the full frame proportions of your camera? It surely does not look like 3X2.

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Artie .... i do not have " general rule or ethic " about that topic .
    For sure I do " clone " or blend things to make the image more " pleasing " to my eye .... even add canvas if needed , from my POV .
    But I have another sensitivity about these things like i.e. you .... I can live easier with things like the thing crossing the legs , like you could . Nothing wrong with your POV about this topic , I just see it different .
    For sure it does look better without the stick crossing that leg ....

But people who know the birds leg , being critical photographers with eagle eyes ..... will see the fake leg .... for sure the majority will not take notice of it .
    Another thing is .... images that has been reworked in terms of removal or adding things can never enter big competitions .

Cheers Andreas
    Hi Andre,

Once you have the Clone Stamp Tool in your hands and admit to adding canvas, your comment on photo illustrations hold no water. In short, your position is indefensible. And of course with either of those (and lots more) you will not be able to enter most major contests.

with love, arite

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi Andre,

Once you have the Clone Stamp Tool in your hands and admit to adding canvas, your comment on photo illustrations hold no water. In short, your position is indefensible. And of course with either of those (and lots more) you will not be able to enter most major contests.

with love, arite
    Hi Artie ... i do not see any need of defense for my position about this topic !!!
    I have my view and others have their view ... nothing more nothing less . We all have the freedom to see things as we like .
    Just sharing my thoughts ....

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light and nice and sharp. Good job getting this one.