Thread: Red grouse (Lagopus lagopus scotica)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red grouse (Lagopus lagopus scotica)

Attached Images Attached Images

Not the usual post for Red grouse, as might be expected I took a number of images with differing exposure values due to the awkward light which I found appealing, I have no doubt a number of people will not find it so. Anyhow be that as it may, I have produced a number of differing versions but I think this one conveys the scene as I recall it. The comb was a little tricky but I don't think is too far out. I would appreciate your critique as always. The image was captured in the North Yorkshire moors, I was in my car.
    Olympus E-M1X
    Focal Length : 420.0mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 500
    Exposure compensation : -1.3 EV
    Shutter : 1/1000 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are correct sir. The lighting here is quite unappealing to me. Though I do not mind the backlight on the plant.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

3. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jon .... lovely " peeping through the heather" shot .
    But I am not too keen about the overall light and the way you processed this one in terms of light and partially color . For me it is too dark and some blues are creeping into the white feathers .
    At least you tried something .... which is great , always exploring . I do love to process difficult images ....

TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hey Jon .... lovely " peeping through the heather" shot .
    But I am not too keen about the overall light and the way you processed this one in terms of light and partially color . For me it is too dark and some blues are creeping into the white feathers .
    At least you tried something .... which is great , always exploring . I do love to process difficult images ....

TFS Andreas
    Thanks Andreas, I wasn't expecting any great appreciation from anyone on this image, it just took my interest, as mentioned I did process and expose different versions of this scenario, I did make brighter more colourful versions too. I appreciate your feedback, I didn't notice the blue creeping in, I'll keep my eye on this for future images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great job trying new things Jon. I feel like we get stuffed in a box sometimes here.

This one just doesn't quite have it IMO. Perhaps playing with bkg exposure (lowering) and trying some rim lighting effects could work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it is a great pic, I think that the mix of light clearly gives a early/mid morning warmth to the picture. I also like the way the colors in the surrounding shrubs compliment the tone and color of the bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not something you would usually see on here and that is why I Like it. The framing of the bird in the vegetation is nice. Background works well.